1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with identifying a large vintage skirt please.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Mark Thomas, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas Registered Guest

Hi all, I acquired this large old skirt and am unable to assign a rough date to it. It is very large, solid, heavy and quite well made. I'm thinking it's from somewhere between 1850 and 1950 !!?? It's quite stunning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

I *need* it haha. It’s gorgeous!

3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Wow, stunning! I'm guessing the experts will need to see pics of the stitching and closures as well as any labels if they exist.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The lining looks quite old. Would it be possible to show us the entire lining and a close up of the stitching on it. I think that would help to determine the age. It is really beautiful, pity the top is no longer with it, that would have really helped to decipher the age.

5. Mark Thomas

Mark Thomas Registered Guest

Thank you very much for your help. Here are some more detailed pics. It doesn't have and looks like it never had a label. It has a very small waist as well.

Attached Files:

6. I am seeing a 1950s ball gown skirt or bustle style over skirt.
    Or a costume.
    With the netting and stitching, this doesnt look older than 1950s.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That certainly is a beautiful garment. I am seeing very late 1940s to very early 1950s.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing 40s to early 50s as well. The tulle and some of the stitching indicate that to me. It is gorgeous!