1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi! Need fur help on two coats

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by intoxikitty, Jan 11, 2008.

1. intoxikitty

intoxikitty Alumni

Hiya!
    Not too sure what type of fur is on the trim of this 60s coat, Soft and semi-glossy brown might be mink but the hair seems longer than mink.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure this 40s coat is a mouton coat but want to make sure, it's not sheared it's actually a full hide, is there a name for this type of mouton? Funny when I bought this it was advertised as a faux fur coat, I almost thought it was too but then something made me think wait, this seems like it might be real fur, glad I checked into it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I agree on both counts!

Lotta help huh? :duh:

The first one just looks wrong for mink but I have no idea what it might be.

Mouton looks right for the second one.

3. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

It looks to thick to be mink. What about nutria? It looks a lot like mink but I think its thicker and way softer.
    That tapestry looks cute!!! You know I am coat shopping right?

4. intoxikitty

intoxikitty Alumni

hmmm nutria never thought of that. I will check out some of the picture resources and see if I can't get a good idea of the fur (I was just being lazy and thought someone might know right off the bat heh) I am a fur novice for the most part, i don't much about it, but I do know if it's good or bad condition, which is probably the most important =)

Coat shopping eh? Well I am about to put up a bunch of coats on Sunday to clear out Winter goodies! You may get a great deal because it seems Ebay is a little slow for coats now! Here's a sneak peek at the full coat, it's a beauty and SUPER warm, it has layers in the middle of the outer layers and it's like a sauna! LOL! A true princess coat too, has the dress cut to it =) Sneaky peeky:

[​IMG]

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

intoxikitty they are both SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!

i agree, the first looks too full to be mink; and the second looks like mouton (or what we used to call mouton, anyway) to me

6. intoxikitty

intoxikitty Alumni

Just wanted to let y'all know these are up on the auction block now =) The Tapestry coat is up for regular auction. The Mouton coat is BIN or Best Offer =) Good luck if you bid! $5.00 off shipping for VFG members! :headbang:

7. First one is a mystery to me too, but it sure is a gorgeous coat...WOWEE!!

I will 2nd that the 2nd is mouton. Sheared refers to the way it is "cut" to give it a smooth and very even texture or surface.

8. intoxikitty

intoxikitty Alumni

Thanks Bonton! I posted this on VCA and the general concesus was Opposum for the tapestry coat, many seemed very sure of it. After looking into it I'm pretty convinced too =) I forgot to mention that in my last post.