1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holdtite Hat Holders

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by lkranieri, Mar 20, 2023.

1. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Once in a while a post appears here with a question about the placement of the elastic band on (primarily 1940s) hats, or a photo is posted in which you can see the band under the chin of the mannequin's head. As I unpacked my millionth box here, from having moved here a year ago, I found this item in my collection of "stuff" and I thought it might help clarify the issue for future inquirers...
    HoldtiteHatElasticOnCard.jpg

2. I have these in my collection. This pair has the fabric elastic band for the back of the head.
    A good reminder.
    two NOS vintage 40s hat elastics on card 1.jpg

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Even better to show both ways of wearing the hat holders. I can't tell for sure with your image, but your thicker hat holder appears to go behind the ear, but under the hair at the neck, correct?

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

bow down wave

Bless you both for the knowledge.

amandainvermont likes this.
  5. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

I know I was guilty of the "under the chin" method way back when! Correcting that was one of the first things I learned here at VFG. :)

6. I believe the bands I have, can be worn either way, depending on the hair style and length.

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This is how I've always worn such hats - almost like an alice band. And if the elastic is a similar colour to your hair, they almost disappear.