1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I measure a halter dress top?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

How do i calculate the bust size if the flat measurement just doesn't make sense?

My half girl is about a 34" bust and it falls right off of her. But the "flat measures" i get even bringing the tape measure out to where the sides of the body would be....it does not compute. It can dip more in the front..just didn't want it to fall off the manni...

I measured not to the edge of the fabric but to wear the body would end and it just doesn't make sense to me. Would someone looking for a halter dress under stand the measurements or do i need to come up with a bust measure?

28 to 34 waist
    38 to ?? hips

TONS of stretch....

By the way....this is a last minute halloween entry in a mylar/holographic look dress with plenty of stretch....or if someone wants to wear it for new years and impersonate the ball that drops in Times Square on the Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve show..

[​IMG]

I almost passed it up but the story was kinda funny...a sweet woman well in her 60s bought it...her husband wanted her to wear it when they went on a cruise, but she chickened out. Heck, he's a keeper if he still wants to see his wife in such outfits when they are around town. Its not vintage, but sure different...

2. Holy moly! Holographic Cyber Punk Go Go Groupie Girl...

When I've dealt with halter tops, I've tended to give measurements for just the cups (if there's only fabric about the cups) or for just the front bodice (as yours seems to have), while saying the overall dimensions will be "variable." They are, really. I'd think someone could take a tapemeasure from one side of the front of their bust to the other to get a good idea.

Steph

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

No cups.

I put it as Holographic Spacegirl Halter Dress...but all those other things work too..even better...

Well..some people may take "variable" to a whole uncharted territory. I didn't want to be accused or held libel of causing any wardrobe accidents.

4. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I measure on the inside of the bust from side to side with the tape against the fabric as I am pushing it out. I then measure from side to side at the
    back at the same point (there may not be cloth there, so this will be a slight
    guesstimate). Add the two measurements together.

Sue

5. b*a*vintagequeen

b*a*vintagequeen Registered Guest

Good question, I have always wondered what was the best way to measure a halter dress!