1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how expensive is to replace lining on fur coat? (NYC)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bprincezz, Jan 15, 2011.

1. bprincezz

bprincezz Registered Guest

Hi,

I bought a mink coat from the 1940's (Esther Dororthy). It's not full lenght, but it's right by the middle of my knees.

I have to get it cleaned (smells dusty and old) and eventually I would like to get the lining replaced. The lining is not falling apart, but one side it needs stiching done.

I have searched where in NY I can do this and I'm not finding anything on yelp and the websites I have visited do not list prices.

Do you recommend anyone in NY or do you ship it somewhere?

Also, do you know how expensive it would be to clean and also replace the lining?

Thanks in advance for your advice :)

Xoxo
    Total newbie

2. bycin

bycin Guest

Let me ask around. I used to live in NYC and can ask some friends. Are you in the city or nearby?

3. bprincezz

Thanks. Yes, I'm in Manhattan.

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

If by "stitching", you mean open seams, you may be able to just have the lining repaired. If the actual fabric is shredding, that's a different story.

Cleaning furs and leathers is fairly spendy. I'm going to guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $100, but it's going to vary depending on your location.

5. bprincezz

Oh good! I thought it would cost like $200-300 to have it cleaned.

Some of the lining needs stiching but after carefully inspecting every inch, some parts of the lining are easily ripped. I guess you can say shredding. So I think maybe replacing the whole lining would be better.

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

If you are planning to get it cleaned, you might consider asking the furrier to replace the lining as well.

I'm not sure how the price would compare to a seamstress, but you could check around. A furrier would certainly have the materials and expertise to do the work, and best of all could monogram it with your initials!

7. bycin

bycin Guest

I'm still checking. Friend of mine says Brooklyn's where to go...Brighton Beach and that area. Hang in there!

8. bprincezz

@cmpollack Hmmm yes, I will take your advice and replace the lining first and get it monogrammed and then cleaned.

So I read somewhere that Bergdorf charges $75 to clean. I have to call them tomorrow to confirm. Saks charges $150 and $575+ to replace lining. Bloomingdales charges $85 to clean and around $400-$600 to replace the lining. :puzzled:

@bycin you are amazing! I looked up on "fur" on Yelp in Brooklyn and I came across Lu Rich Alteration Studio in Brighton Beach. Now that I think about it, you see a lot of women wearing fur in Brooklyn. I called the place and she says the lining can cost about $100+ but to take the coat and she will see it. However, I'm going to hold off to see if your can find any more info.

I appreciate it so much! Thank you :cheer: