1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to clean an Indian gauze dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Metro Retro Vintage, May 12, 2019.

1. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Rebecca is a new guest to our forums and she has a question, which I'm moving here to the public forum. Please see below ...

=-=-=-=-=-=

Hello vintage lovers!

I have a 1970's Indian cotton dress with a large yellow stain on one shoulder and was hoping someone may have some advice on the safest method of stain removal. The fabric is delicate gauze and has gold painted highlights.

I was wondering whether anyone knows if these dresses are colourfast and if it is safe to soak it in an Oxyclean solution? Any advice/cleaning tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks
    Bec

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

They are often not colourfast. The general care advice, when given, is usually, "hand wash in cold water. "

So probably washable, gently in cold water, but I'd be wary of oxyclean

3. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Registered Guest

Thank you Ruth, that is good advice.
    I think you may be right about not using the oxyclean, I will proceed with caution!

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Some people recommend washing in distilled or de-ionised water (such as you use for irons) for stain removal on delicate washable fabrics, something about how because all the minerals have been removed from the water, it will somehow take on the minerals from the stain. It might be worth a try.

5. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Registered Guest

That’s really interesting Ruth, I haven’t heard of that before. I might have to give it a try ... thank you!

Retro Ruth likes this.