1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I bought a steamer and I love it!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by crinolinegirl, Dec 19, 2007.

1. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Bought this steamer
    the other day and finally got to use it this afternoon!

I LOVE it! It hardly spit and steamed everything quick and good! Makes a change from the last one I had that spewed water everywhere.
    I thought this one looked a bit cheap and plasticy but I found it to be quite well made and sturdy when I took it out of the box.

Definitely a keeper!

YAY!

Lei

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That looks like one I saw in a discount store around here (different brand, but also plastic and with the same general components).

Do all steamers look like yours, but with different results depending on quality/brand?

(Sorry if that's a really dumb question :BAGUSE: . I've known I ought to get a steamer for ages, but keep putting it off because I also know that any weaknesses in the design will be amplified by my domestic-arts-challenged use. I'm looking for the equivalent of an idiot-proof camera, I guess...)

Anyway, I'm glad you found one you like!

3. Steamers are the cat's pajamas!!!

A tip to help keep spitting from messing up garments is to take an old piece of nylon / pantyhose and slip it over the steam head. I haven't done it but I heard it helps.

Someone also suggested putting scented "laundry water" in the water tank to help with the smell that can come off of vintage when steamed ~ again, haven't tried it, but it's on my to do list~

4. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

It's made by Conair so it's an international brand so it may be the same one as you saw in the discount shop. It's hard to get steamers over here- the last one I had was Conair too but it was a different model, same basic shape though. This one seems alot better made though.

I steamed a bunch of stuff today and only had a few drops on a few non staining things but I think for the iffy pieces, I will do that stocking trick just to be sure! :)

Lei

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

thanks for the info, Lei (and the stocking tip, Sharon!).

Think I will screw my courage up and buy one soon...

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Good news about the steamer, Lei.

I find mine has been spitting up a lot, I will try that stocking trick.

7. eel

eel Registered Guest

I am a sucker for TV "infomercials" :BAGUSE: and I bought a steamer I saw on one today. I think it's called "Tobi" Has anyone tried it?

I really should have done more research, but it does have a 60 day money back guarantee and a 1 year warranty (3 year optional warranty=$) But those darn TV things :wow:

I have to say that some things I have bought from infomercials have been GREAT (caruso curlers, a set of pots and pans I have used for over 10 years) and others, not so much (an ironing board pad, gem setter,etc.)....

8. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

LOL, I love infomercials too.

If they have a money back policy, then it's no harm in trying it especially if it turns out to be a good steamer.

9. avamac

avamac Alumni

My god guys, steamers are INDISPENSIBLE....!!!! We have one in the shop--a JIFFY industrial model. Practically everything gets steamed before it hits the rack, and the men's suits often get a final steam before they walk out the door. The only fabric that's better with ironing is cotton. Crepe---no iron shine, and the wrinkles just fall out! Velvet--a breeze! Silk--instant results. HEAVEN on hats!!!! I can't imagine doing business without one!

10. One thing I have done when mne starts to spit is fill the tank with 1/2 water & 1/2 white vinegar, fire it up and let it go until the tank is empty.
    I use distilled water but still end up with "crud" so it often needs a wipe after I use it and a vinegar treatment maybe every other week - depends on how much use it gets.

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Tks Sharon, I'll try the vinegar & water bit as well...I have put the stocking on and that helps a lot!

12. Glad to help~ just remember to close the steamer off in another room or near an open window.

I usually do the vinegar thing in my work area when I want to be left alone, as the kids, husband and even the cat hate the smell ;)

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I loves me my Jiffy steamer, too! And worth every penny.

Hollis

14. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

I'm in the market for a steamer, too. I iron everything and I actually really enjoy ironing! But I can definitely see the advantages of steaming.

Does anyone here use a handheld one? Or are the floor models really better?

Jen

15. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Steamers are like cashmere. They both spoil you for life!
    I have had my Jiffy steamer for years now and use it nearly everyday! Enjoy Lei, your life just got easier.

Melody

16. intoxikitty

intoxikitty Alumni

I just bought a Conair Pro Model, after returning the Conair compact model (which I absolutely hated) I love the Pro Model, it's amazing how much time I save and how much better the clothing looks as opposed to ironing it. Plus I can now press rayon, satin and tafetta without worry of discoloring or ruining it! I don't know how I have survived without my steamer this long!

To answer the question about handheld vs. floor model: I haven't tried a handheld, but the biggest issue would be that the handheld will not hold a large amount of water, so you'll have to refill probably once or twice for each garment I'd imagine. I sometimes can use half a tank on a gown, so I could imagine that you'd be constantly running back and forth to fill it up on a handheld. I'd just go for the floor model

17. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Good point! I don't have running water in my studio and I already carry things back and forth to the house for washing, etc.. So that's definitely something to consider. It seems like a decent floor model costs about $150 on average, though, is that right?

Jen

18. If you're comfortable with a refurbished model you can get them for around $50 or less.

I got mine on ebay for about $50 incl. shipping.

When I need a big ticket item I usually check out THIS SITE also~