1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I found a gorgeous Oscar de la Renta and I don't know what it is!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melanie Zamora, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Melanie Zamora

Melanie Zamora Registered Guest

I found a beautiful Oscar de la Renta caftan/coat/gown at a Goodwill. I don't typically buy high end fashion, but I love textures and fabrics and this piece was so beautiful I couldn't pass it up. I would love to find out more about it, and I've searched thousands of images as well as Pinterest and other sites like that. Can anyone help me figure out what it is? Melanie IMG_2565.JPG IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2568.JPG IMG_2569.JPG IMG_2570.JPG

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks to me like an 'at home' evening robe using AMAZING fabric that is based on an Imperial Chinese robe. 1970s?

3. Melanie Zamora

Thanks, Jonathan. I searched every keyword I could think of to no success. Thanks for responding.

4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

That is gorgeous! But that Saks label looks more modern to me, lets see what others have to say :)

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looked newer to me too, which is why I added the question mark after 1970s. I think they still had the script Saks Fifth Avenue label in the 1970s.

carla rey likes this.
  6. Melanie Zamora

I contacted Oscar de la Renta company. The woman I talked to there said I would need to contact their corporate office. I thought that's what I had contacted. Does anyone know of a way I could get in touch with their corporate office? Do design houses keep a catalog of every piece they've produced?

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you show both sides of the care label if present, and any other labels with info on.

8. Melanie Zamora

Hi. The only other label is the size tag (pictured). I'm also posting pictures of the inside of the piece as well as some of the seams. The embroidery and detail is all handwork. IMG_2809.JPG IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2810.JPG IMG_2814.JPG

9. Melanie Zamora

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I think you're right - that fabric is just too bizarre for the 1970s too - I think it's early 2000s now as well.

11. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

It is gorgeous but definitely not vintage.
    Very 1970s in style!
    I think Suzanne & Jonathan are right.

12. Melanie Zamora

Do any of you know of a catalog of all Oscar de la Renta pieces? Or does Saks keep any kind of record like that?

13. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Being more recent, I would contact ODLR customer services or similar, and ask if they know when it was produced.

14. Melanie Zamora

I found it! 2003 Fall Ready to Wear. Here are a couple pictures:
    #57.2.jpg #57.jpg

HollyD, bartondoll, lkranieri and 5 others like this.
  15. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

16. Melanie Zamora

I added the label to the label resource thread.

Pinkcoke likes this.
  17. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Good sleuthing Melanie Z!!! I had a feeling it might have had pants.

cmpollack likes this.
  18. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member