1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just bought a SIDESADDLE!!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by crinolinegirl, Dec 11, 2006.

1. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Sorry, I know it's slightly off topic but I'm so excited and have no one to tell as Gary is just so non horsey!!

I just bought a sidesaddle in my size for £250!!!!
    It had just been listed for one minute on a BIN when I snapped it up. These things usually go for £650+ and I never can afford to win one. This one has been reflocked and has had all the billets and things replaced. The leaping horse needs fixing but there is a saddler here in Leicestershire that specializes in sidesaddles who can do it cheap.

I have wanted one since I was 10 years old, frickin' 21 years I have waited to get one!!!!

Look at my beauty!!
    <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200057969410">Sidesaddle</a>

ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know what to say!!!!

Lei

2. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Wow - even I'm excited and I don't even ride. Nice buy Lei!!! :party:

3. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

That's great!, What do they say something like "those who wait patiently always get"

I take it you can ride side saddle, somewhere I did here that is was a lot harder to do than ride normally .
    have not a clue really.

Have you got the right dresses to go with it.

Off topic ... who cares ... This subject would have been the talk of the board 100 years ago.

4. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I'm still on a high from getting it :) The seller just rang me and told me that she's sending it off tomorrow. You just know that I'm going to be accosting the postman this week until it arrives!!

Paul, I do have a habit in my collection that fits me. It's from c. 1910 which is about the same date as the saddle :)

Lei

5. Can't wait for complete pics of you in your habit on the horse.

By the way, is the picture you use on these posts a woman in a riding habit?

6. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

Yes, she is although it's a shame you can't see her entire habit:)
    The image is actually of a French actress by the famous French photographer Charles Reutingler. The name Massin is written at the back of the photo but I can't find anything about her. She definitely was a celebrity during the second half of the 1860's as I've found other identical photos of her for sale on Ebay and at fairs but no name on them. From what I can tell, Reutlinger only photographed actresses, dancers and singers. Here is what I found on his studio:

The Reutlinger Studio, which operated from 1850 to 1937 in the heart of the capital of fashion, Paris, was well known for providing celebrity images for commercial advertising. Their studio consisted of palm trees, columns, tapestries, rugs, and an assortment of steps and stairways on which the flowing trains from the ladies' gowns could be resplendently fanned out. The most attractive models were sought, and often the prettiest ladies with the best figures were found at the Folies Bèrgeres, the Comedie Français, or the Opera Bouffe. Therefore it is not unusual to see early photographs of Paris-based opera singers, such as Lina Cavalieri who performed for the Folies Bèrgeres, prior to their operatic debuts.

Lei

7. Fascinating, Lei - thanks so much for sharing.

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

9. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

10. anna_newman

anna_newman VFG Member

:USETHUMBUP:

Congratulations, Lei! There's nothing like finding that special thing you have always wanted, and getting a bargain on top of it. woo-hoo!

And I second the request for photos of you using the saddle.

anna

11. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I will post pix as soon as it's fixed. It currently at the tack shop being repaired but she takes AGES to fix things there so it won't be done just yet unfortunately. Hopefully by spring it should be done. I'm just itching to ride in it too!

Thanks for that link Carolyn, I just looked at the rest of their auctions and there is a grossly misdated thing that I'd LOVE to add to my collection!! It ends today so hopefully I will win it!!

Lei

12. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

UPDATE:

Just won these!
    A divided riding skirt from the Edwardian era! LOL, definitely NOT 40's or 50's but from when women started to ride astride in the Edwardian era. These culottes still made the wearer look like she was wearing a skirt while riding but without riding sidesaddle. Very rare!

Lei

13. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

How fun! I'm going to lease a horse this spring. I'm pretty excited I haven't really played horse in years! I can't wait to see the pictures.

14. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Am I right in thinking a Edwardian lady wearing these would be look upon at first like they did with the first ladies to riding a bicycle or drive a car,
    " Not a lady like thing to do".

Do they go right down to the ankle or more like modern culottes and showing the riding boots?.

You just need some nice weather. Well done!

15. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I would imagine that ladies would not be frowned upon when riding in this era. Afterall - ladies had ridden for centuries. As long as it was sidesaddle. I don't think anyone would bat an eye. I think the bigger issue would be when a woman rode astride.l Obviously, women rode astride all the time throughout history, but i forget what timeframe it was in the last 150 years when it became acceptable. Of course, in the american frontier things were much different and i am not counting that.. Why can't i remember when things changed?

16. pauline

pauline Registered Guest

Sorry I meant riding through say the streets of London astride