1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help identifying a leather jacket w/o tags

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Trevor wood, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Trevor wood

Trevor wood Registered Guest

Hello! New to the page but really hoping to get some info on a leather jacket. I bought it about a year ago for 50 bucks off craigslist. I thought it looked really cool and I love the velvet underground. It was too small but I bought it anyways and stored it awhile. Just recently came across it again and because w little curios. Sorry, to get to the point I have no clue what to look for. Things I do know: it is a black leather jacket with a red lining on the inside. It has one breast pocket and three pockets on the outside. It has three buttons on the inside of the collar. It has three different types of talon zippers. Two the same that make the sleeves wider. Two on outside pockets that dangle with a diamond looking piece where talon is written. And one in the center that zips the whole thing up. That's all I can think of for now. I'll add lots of pics as well. Thank you soo much for any help or even giving it a look.
    -Trevor

IMG_20220711_215709416.jpg IMG_20220711_215643488.jpg IMG_20220711_215623596.jpg IMG_20220711_215608572.jpg IMG_20220711_215543793.jpg IMG_20220711_215524883.jpg IMG_20220711_215515933.jpg IMG_20220711_215501232.jpg IMG_20220711_215444254.jpg

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. Trevor wood

Well after a few hours of research on the computer I've come to believe this is a 1954 horse hide motorcycle jacket by sears labeled Hercules outerwear. Everything matches up completely down to each zipper. Wish it still had the tag but excited to figure it out.

Attached Files:

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great jacket and looks like you found the match.

Trevor wood likes this.
  4. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

5. Trevor wood

Yes! Thank you. Now to find someone that cleans leather jackets.

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Trevor wood likes this.
  7. Trevor wood

Awesome! I will. Ive been watching YouTube videos as well. Haha
    Thanks Mary

8. The Vintage Merchant

you're very welcome, Trevor! we hope to see more of you here on our forums; good luck with your jacket!

Trevor wood likes this.
  9. Trevor wood

Yeah, I will. In glad I came upon this page. One more question if you don't mind. I don't plan on selling it something ide like to hold on to but as everyone on antiques roadshow says, im only curious. Would you know how To give a rough estimate appraisal/worth for this? Two big things that stick out to me besides needing a cleaning is that the tag is missing and the belt is missing, it also looks like the two belt loops were cut off. Just wondering!
    Thanks!

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I would start by checking worthpoint, eBay sold listing, live auction sold listings to give you an idea of what someone is willing to pay for it. The exact jacket and those of similar style, era and quality.

Also, if an internet site leads you to a listing from a reputable sources private website where the item was previously sold and it still lists a price - keep in mind they may be able to get a higher price than you due to reputation and repeat clientele.

(Condition matters! Take care of it - but if dry, cracked leather cannot be remedid, it will affect what you can get sharply)

11. The Vintage Merchant

yes, condition does matter...and if two belt loops were cut off, that would severely downplay the value.