1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Want To Say 40's..NOS Green Suit With Fur Collar..Help Please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ClubVintage, Oct 18, 2004.

1. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

I Want To Say 40\'s..NOS Green Suit With Fur Collar..Help Please

I need some help on this NOS stunning green suit with a dark reddish brown mink? collar.<p>I want to say 40's due to the triangle shaped flat shoulder pads and the peplum. What do you think on a date. The original price tag says $35.<p>The jacket and skirt are unlined. The fabric has a soft hand like a brushed woven wool. Is that possible?<br>The colors are a rich green with taupe, I would call it a tweed, right?<p>Last question...Ever hear of this company? ..Forman & Gumner, Boston. <p>I think this is so beautiful and it combines several trends with its rich green color and fur collar.<p>Thanks in advance!<p>Cat<p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

It could be just like Lindsay was talking about in her thread about local dept stores and boutiques. That's what the label sounds like because it has the city name too. I could be wrong..will have to ask a friend who was living in Boston longer than I had if they heard of it.

I think it was Sue who posted this link on identifying wools

http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/23-wmtp/wmtp-01.html#kinds

Chris

3. artizania

artizania Alumni + VFG Past President

I'd say it is more 50s due to the sleeve length, and the kength of the skirt. Maybe a 40/50s cusper????

4. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Beautiful suit! I'm from Boston and never heard of this store or manufacturer. (And I was there in the 50s).

5. Yummy! Green is my favorite color. I would say late 40s, early 50s, too, and TWEED.

Does the hat go with it?

6. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

I hadn't thought about putting the hat with it but that is a great idea! It is one of the many I have taking up precious space around here. I just keep bringing them home. I have never even tried to list one.<p>The best part of this suit is it is a larger size, the waist on the skirt is 33". I have it clipped to the max! Does it look OK?<p>Thanks for all your assistance! :)<p>Cat

7. I thought it might be bigger, but it looks great. You should make many $$$.

8. vintagemeggie

vintagemeggie Registered Guest

Just wanted to say WOW! What a beautiful suit!

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Very attractive, but to me it looks pure 50s with the mink collar ( don't see these much in the 40s) and the cut and hang of the sleeves, plus the 3/4 sleeve length.

Hollis

10. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

I got a 50s vibe right away. I'm from Boston too and never heard of that store. I could ask my Mom...

11. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Thanks for all the help everyone!<p>I will list it as early 50's as that seems to be how most of you saw it.<p>Thanks for the offer to check with your mom Kevin.<p>Cat