1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ID on WWII era nurse's cape?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DoubleSeahorse, Jul 3, 2004.

1. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

ID on WWII era nurse\'s cape?

I recently acquired a short navy with red lining wool nurse's cape from about the WWII era from a flea market. On the stand up collar are embroidered the initials: "ST. JH"

I know that these capes tend to identify what hospital the nurse worked for though I am not certain about this one. My best guess is Saint Jude's Hospital but I could be wrong there.

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks!
    ~Tiff~

2. It probably is the name of the hospital. Maybe it is St. Joseph's.

Do you have a Pic? These really do well around Halloween.

3. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I worked for a St James Hospital. I don't think there is any way to be able to tell Which St's hospital it came from. People move to different states esp after marrying. People met during war time and moved to be with their new husbands. You could live in NY and get something from someones estate that they carried with them from Ca.

But those capes do well and I would be tempted to wait till Aug to sell if this is something you are planning on selling. I had once found a site where women were chatting it up about the vintage nurses capes and how much they loved them, so there are plenty of collectors out there. I think they are great!!

4. DoubleSeahorse

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I picked this up at a flea market in Pennsylvania where I live and other than it needs some cleaning it's in really solid shape. I may actually keep it for myself but we'll see. :)

I'll try to get pics up soon.

~Tiff~

5. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Why do so many saint's names have to start with "J"??

There's a St. Joseph's here in Asheville.

I don't think buyers really care about the hospital the capes are from, but it would be nice to have the name just in case there is a collector who is looking for stuff from a particular hopsital.

I would wait a little while before selling it.

Lizzie

6. DoubleSeahorse

Alright, here are the pics I promised. I will be posting the label in the labels thread later with some other labels I've taken pics of:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~Tiff~

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Thst is a nice one, especially with the older embroidery.
    Hollis

8. colleen m

colleen m Registered Guest

can anyone tell me when they think this nurses cape is from. Lable reads Brucks Tailord by brucks Nurses outfitting co.inc. initials on outer collar read SR on left and C. on right. its navy blue with royal blue lining

having a hard time posting pic

IMG_1085.jpeg

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

colleen, you'll have better luck to begin a new thread with your help request, this is an old one from 2004.