1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying Charlatans how high jacket?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JezzaJ, Sep 11, 2021.

1. JezzaJ

JezzaJ Registered Guest

Hi, I've been trying to identify this jacket for years. Tim burgess is wearing it, in the charlatans how high video. Sorry about the quality, any ideas about the logo? This was from the early 90s.
    Thanks,
    Although, now I think about it, this probably isn't vintage yet? Sorry.
    And worse still, I've just checked and it's 97!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

1997 is vintage by our definition of 20 years plus.

No idea about the jacket though. Is this the only photo you have?

3. Retro Ruth

Found the full video. That took me back!

There's several tantalising glimpses of the logo, but I can't make it out as the resolution isn't very high.

here is it in case anyone else wants to have a go.

4. Retro Ruth

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    lkranieri likes this.
  5. JezzaJ

JezzaJ Registered Guest

Thankyou Ruth, I appreciate your time. I've come across this jacket, and a couple of other similar ones. Unfortunately I seem to have become a little bit obsessed, trying to find the actual jacket. Perhaps trying to recapture a bit of my youth??
    Even Tim Burgess doesn't know, he borrowed it from one of the stylists/video crew. And I'm not the only one searching. Perhaps one of us should put up a prize? Thankyou anyway.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. JezzaJ

JezzaJ Registered Guest

(Actual jacket type, not the ACTUAL one. I'm not that far gone... yet)!

7. Retro Ruth

Lol!

We all understand obsession here! Interesting that others are searching too.

Yes took me back to the 90s music scene in the UK, though I wasn't into The Charlatan's in particular.

JezzaJ likes this.
  8. JezzaJ

JezzaJ Registered Guest

I was 16 in 1990, when all the first rave and madchester stuff was at it peak and birth. And I was given alot of latitude, so it really sticks.
    Even got tickets to spike Island, when the stone roses were prosecuted in wolverhampton (unfortunately, my home town) if you turned up outside court and signed the "free the roses" petition, they gave you a couple of tickets, signed your t shirt and posed for a photo!
    Even though I was clubbing, I still went gigging, and by 97 the charlatans were still going....

Just read this back, and I'm two minds as to whether I should inflict this explanation upon you.
    Oh well. :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  9. Retro Ruth

Love it. I was in my 20s the nineties, and living in London. I wasn't deep in the rave and clubbing scene, but I went to a few. It's funny, it's only looking back that I can see the nineties as 'an era' with it's own particular vibe. I guess that's the same for every decade.

10. JezzaJ

JezzaJ Registered Guest

Maybe I'm just out of touch, well... I am totally out of touch. But it seems as though, that was the last decade, when there was a definite change in music and popular culture. Everything since just seems derivative. Continuing upon various themes and different scenes just splintering. Or am I wrong? Just can't think of anything, that is actually standing on it's own merits as totally new. Only too happy to be told that I'm talking crap!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  11. JezzaJ

JezzaJ Registered Guest

Although, thinking about it. Club/rave started in the 80s so I'm probably wrong on various counts!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  12. JezzaJ

JezzaJ Registered Guest

And then that can be traced back to disco. Disco was somewhat guitar based. Guitar to blues, so the last actual new stuff was American blues??
    I think that I just may be overthinking this. :)
    Hope you know what I mean though. Cause I'm starting to think that I don't.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Retro Ruth likes this.
  13. Richardjago

Richardjago Registered Guest

Apologies, I realise this thread goes back years, but I was searching the jacket after seeing the homage jacket made by Hikerdelic.

The jacket in the video is an American brand called Spiewak. Kinda yachting jackets. I still have mine from around that era when a couple of us went out and bought them in Covent Garden, Endell Street. A store that first sold Penfield and Carharrt when it was growing with UK indie bands.

I still have my spiewak somewhere and the white navy version.