1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying Furs x4 pieces - help please!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by smittenkitten, Jan 5, 2019.

1. smittenkitten

smittenkitten Registered Guest

After so many weeks of reading and researching (including the fur resources here), I'm desperate to find out or confirm what these furs are so I am hoping someone with the skill and a keen eye could help me deduce these 4 pieces I have recently inherited. I took photos of from the back so you can see the shape of each pelt.
    I've done the fur test on all of these coats and can confirm leather lining.

Sorry for the white flying specs in the photos - please let me know if I need to take any other photos closer up or from a different angle.

A.jpg
    ABOVE (A) : Softest of all the 4 pieces

B.jpg
    ABOVE (B): Next softest in the line.

C.jpg
    ABOVE (C): this fur is not as soft as A and B. Very shiny and thin long pelts.

D.jpg
    ABOVE (D) : was told this was mink however it's not as soft as A and B. Guard hairs are visibly and much longer than fur. This has also been sewed into a cape fashion with an Asian rough pattern lining.

I'll appreciate all feedback!!!
    Thank you!

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

A. I can't tell for certain but the pelts look like the size of rabbit and the description of the texture sounds soft like rabbit too.

B. Kit, gray, or swift fox.

C. I can't quite tell on that one from the way it's laying and the warm sunshine is making the image too light.

D. Muskrat.

smittenkitten and arunava like this.
  3. smittenkitten

smittenkitten Registered Guest

@Furwise Thank you so so so very much for your response.
    I think you hit the nail on the head with A, B, D - I googled muskrat fur and D looks identical with short piles and very long guard hairs.

I have gone ahead to take new photos of C - I have been guessing mink but how can mink possibly be not-as-soft as rabbit?
    Let me know if you need more photos :)
    IMG_20190120_095008.jpg IMG_20190120_095225.jpg

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I still can’t tell for certain. It looks like kolinsky which is Siberian weasel but kolinsky is soft and is used for coats but is soft enough to be used for makeup brushes as well.

Kolinsky is not the same kind of soft as rabbit by any means. Rabbit feels more downy like whereas kolinsky is flatter is soft too, just in a different way.

The size of the pelts do indicate that it is some type of weasel but your description leaves me with the conclusion that I would really have to handle it to know for sure.