Identifying Lace Collars

JudyBS

Registered Guest
I have been enptying the contents of a family trunk (1860s - 1950s with most of it Victorian and Edwardian) for many years. I have now unearthed several lace collars but have been unable to identify type lace of and origin. I am simply overwhelmed by the intricacies of lace and don't want to mis identify them. I've posted photos of 4 of the collars which are representative of what I have and would appreciate any guidance I could get. thanks for reading. Judy

IMG_7133.jpegIMG_7140.jpegIMG_7144.jpegIMG_7151.jpeg
IMG_7133.jpeg
IMG_7140.jpeg
IMG_7144.jpeg
IMG_7151.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am definitely not a lace expert, so bumping this for more input.

The second one looks like crochet, and I think the fourth is dotted swiss fabric with lace connecting and edging.

Lovely collars! I've managed to date several collars by measuring neck and length, considering fabric composition, type of lace and shape when worn.

As Maggie said, the second looks like crochet. The third looks like cutwork. Depending on size, the first might be a cuff, but they usually come in pairs: perhaps it joins up in a circle as a collar? Most collars have a 'front' and a 'back' but this looks almost symmetrical. The fourth collar looks like a fichu, to be tied up like a neckerchief.

I'm unable to date these on the available information - they could be between the 1800s up to the 1930s - but if you can show them to someone knowledgeable in person, they should be able to help.

Nicole

Thank you all for your assistance. The knowledge is so helpful as it gives me a place to do more research on my own. Judy

Thank you all for your assistance. The knowledge is so helpful as it gives me a place to do more research on my own. Judy
Judy, when I was researching collars, I found it helpful to look for similar on selling sites - auctions, even ebay and find the sellers who could be trusted with their evaluations. There are many lace experts and if you look and read a seller's listings you get a sense of whether they're reliable - and cross reference that with others who have similar. Once you know the right names for the types of lace and shapes for the collars, it's easy to find out more. Good luck. It's a fascinating area.

Nicole

Thanks again for the info. Here's the whole lot that I found when I opened the package. Hope you enjoy. Judy

Attachments

• IMG_3766.jpeg
    IMG_3766.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3768.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3769.jpeg
    IMG_3769.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3767.jpeg
    IMG_3767.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 2
from a couple of VFG members, their suggestions for lace books they've used:

Marian: "Legacy of Lace, Identifying, Collecting and Preserving American Lace", Warnick/Nillson, 1988.
and
Carrie: Pat Earnshaw's "The Identification of Lace"

Back