1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Identifying this vintage enamel compact with floral enamel

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Mar 16, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

A new item, i 'think' it's ok to post compacts on this site, hopefully someone will have the experience/expertise to chime in.

This came with my lovely hats (still to make a thread regarding those) and silk Hermes and Jeanne Lanvin Scarves, all appear to date from the mid fifties to early 60s. I also have some very pretty hankies from the same trove which I will make a separate thread about....

But first! :)

This pretty little (and actually quite weighty) compact is yellow metal with a cream enamel covering and pastel silver and pink floral pattern. It has a rope style gold tone mini strap with a (nautical?) knot detail. Internally it has a mirror and a hidden compartment, maybe mini cigarettes? and a powder compact space which is empty but the little rouge compact is unused with it's little puff still there too (so cute!).

I'm wondering if it fits in with the mid 50s dating or closer to early 60s? or different era?

Also after rummaging online I found quite a few vintage patterned enamel decorated compacts by 'stratton' but there dosn't seem to be any kind of marking and most I have seen are identified by the box they came with. Is there any way to identify the maker?

Thanks all, photos below

IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG IMG_7933.JPG
    IMG_7930.JPG IMG_7931.JPG IMG_7932.JPG

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Beautiful - I would call this a vanity case. My mom used to collect these and vintage compacts and still has a small collection, I have a small collection of compacts as well, but none of the collector books at hand. I would guess 1940s-50s for your case. There were myriad American and British companies that produced these. Stratton is a British one and very famous for their beautiful compacts, they also have some very distinctive style elements. I used to be able to recognise them without looking for the signature when I was regularly hunting at flea markets etc. As far as I know, the best-known makers all signed/stamped their products with their logos (Stratton is usually always signed on the inside), but there are also lots of beautiful "no name" ones out there.

3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oohh, thanks so much Midge! So it's a mini vanity case... I have a new search term :) (goes off to internet search)

4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

ooohh I may have found some interesting info on this, I found a prov pat number picture attached. I searched the uk patent register and found this

"
    Title
    (EN) Improvements in combined vanity and cigarette cases

Abstract
    (EN)
    456,240. Vanity and cigarette cases. MAGNUS, H. F., 79, Fore Street, London. Dec. 31, 1935, No. 36063. [Class 18] A combined vanity and cigarette case comprises a body 1, hinged lid 2, and a hinged flap 6 which covers a compartment B in the lid and is provided with a pocket 6 to hold a comb. The end of this pocket is formed with a finger recess to facilitate withdrawal of the comb, and the opposite side of the flap is flanged to hold a mirror 7. The flap is spring- urged to close over the body or lid to which it is attached, and the lid 2 is spring-urged to the open position. Cigarettes are held in compartment B by a spring clip 5, an elastic band, &c., and in the body 1, trays 10, 11 to hold powder and rouge are positioned in apertures in a partition 9. The latter is also formed with a semicylindrical recess 9 to hold a lipstick, and the lid has a similar coinciding recess A."

I'm hopeful this is the right information. However the trail goes cold here as I can find no further information on any Harold Magnus in relation to companies, stores etc. Maybe someone could have a look at the picture and see if they glean anything else from it?

compact mini vanity case.jpg

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Where did you find the name Harold? I only see H.F....or did I miss it?

GemGem likes this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh I only posted an excerpt, here is another part of it

"
    COMPLETE SPECIFICATION
    Improvements in Combined I, HAROLD FREDERI Ci K MAGNUS, of 79 to 82, Fore Street, London, E C 2, British Subject, do hereby declare the nature of this invention and in what manner the same is to be performed, to be particularly described and ascertained in and by the'following statement:-"

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thanks. Later today I will poke around for more information.

GemGem and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  8. Midge

That's interesting, so it may well be earlier than I thought. I am honestly not as much up to speed anymore on these as I used to be. I asked my mom if she still has any of those books and if they have a name register at the end, to see if she can find a reference to Magnus anywhere. Too bad - last weekend I was with my parents, but I don't know when I'll be visiting them next...

9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

That would be wonderful! Thank you

10. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Potentially but i suppose it's possible it's 40s? I don't know how long patents take to come through. Oh also I realised that the powder is still there, I thought it had reached the bottom but it's a gauze type fabric covering it so it acts as a puff. (the original pad is missing though, unless the rough was used for both? but i think that unlikely).

11. Midge

I guess it could be either 1930s or 40s. The powder at the time was loose, so you would have this "sieve" thingy on top of it, and then a puff in the same shape - so that is one square powder puff missing.

GemGem likes this.
  12. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

It's gorgeous.

Before I started to look having viewed your photos, I became convinced your compact was earlier then 1940s, look at that clasp.

I found several patterned reference to him in the US, quite the inventor but little on him.

I am wondering if he survived the war?

It might be worth you contacting the British and American Horology societies, apparently he invented/improved a portable stand up clock, worth a shot, maybe they have heard of him.

Because of his name I took a leap and looked through notable Danish listings to see if I could find him, nothing doing but I could be way off track..

He was busy filling in the US 32,33,34 and 35

I found this including possibly his signature.

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    GemGem likes this.
  13. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh wow, fascinating stuff! Fab sleuthing! I will check the Horology societies, thanks so much :)

14. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Yes thats exactly it! Thank you

15. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

the floral design looks (to me) to be Arts & Crafts inspired, and that latch is an Art Deco design element, suggesting dating it to the late 1920s/early 1930s. it will be interesting to see what Lynne is able to dig up, she's amazing. :)

it's really gorgeous. congratulations.

Distantdetails and GemGem like this.
  16. Midge

17. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thank you so much, one thing I think does not show in the photos is that at an angle the floral pattern is very silvery and shiny. Oh i love a mystery! I'm too really looking forward to seeing if Lynne finds anything, she is an awesome sleuther!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  18. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Giving this a little bump incase anyone managed to find out anymore about this, or cares to!

19. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

My initial reaction to this is 1940s. It will be interesting to watch this thread for more info.

20. Midge

My mom had a look through her books - unfortunately she couldn't find anything that could help. There's a compartment for cigarettes underneath the mirror, right?

GemGem likes this.