1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If I knew then what I know now!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Patentleathershoes, Nov 8, 2004.

1. I'm not sure what they are made of. Some kind of fabric that has been treated I guess. They are fragile. Once they get bent or squished, they are difficult to restore to original shape. I remember that one of the ones that we gave away had autumn colors with a cat tail. Sigh.

Barbies may be a common theme indeed. As a tail end baby boomer, barbie dolls pretty much defined my childhood.

So Chris... what are you smuggling home?

Carol

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

So Chris... what are you smuggling home?

Funny you should ask. It would actually be "smuggled" in the past tense now, as I just arrived home, and no smuggling was involved. But my mother did asked "is it to SELL or to WEAR??"

Well, it is a "keep until its older" item to be put away until it is truly vintage and I will be the height of style to be wearing it again.

....My prom dress! The story is, that i was not going to my prom. But 10 days prior my mother managed to convince me that if i didn't go I would regret it the rest of my life. So i had to hurry up and get cracking. There was a dress shop in town, and I had to get it altered down a bit, and I had the seamstress make spaghetti straps because I was so paranoid that my dress would fall down (I had never worn a strapless dress up until that point...and almost never since.) I also had to go through the idea of getting a longline or strapless bra (the horror! LOL) at that moment as well.

So with 3 days to spare, my dress was ready in all its very late 80s/90s cusp glory....but since it is leaning into 90s, black and a little more understated...maybe.

There was another dress I had that is earlier and "high 80s" but my mother didn't know where it was. I was a few years younger and wore it for a play I was in.