1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ILGWU was founded 119 years ago today...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by cmpollack, Jun 2, 2019.

1. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

according to Jewish Currents magazine...

[​IMG]

2. Awful what they endured.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

You have to wonder how it still really is in other countries today.

Retro Ruth and cmpollack like this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Great to read. Does anyone remember the old TV commercials back in the 1960s (?) with members of the ILGW singing their newly worded theme song to the tune of the old "Look for the Silver Lining"? I still sing that today and think of it every time I see an old label. Sorry if I cannot recall all of it right now. "Look for the Union Label...when you are buying that coat dress or blouse....remember somewhere our Union's sewing, our wages going...to feed the kids... Sure we work hard, but whose complaining" etc. It ends with "So always look for the Union Label, it says we are able to make it in the USA". Or close to that.

Dwayne's uncle was a CPA for the ILGWU. Well, actually he was a member all right and a shop leader. But not in finance. He said CPA stood for Cleaning Pressing and Alterations. :hysterical:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

119 years. Amazing. I always love finding the labeled clothing.