1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info and age of this black and white dress from Honolulu Hawaii

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ineke Veenstra, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Ineke Veenstra

Ineke Veenstra Registered Guest

Like to get to know more about this cotton dress.
    The top of the dress is lined. It has two pockets and a zipper at the back. The belt is adjustable. The dress is at some places sewn by hand.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I've only seen that sort of button tab belt on 1960's dresses, however the extensive care details make me think this may be from the 1970s.

3. Ineke Veenstra

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

hello, Ineke ~ yes, Malia HAS been around since the 60s, and this dress certainly has some 60s elements, however, that care label is much more recent.

your dress is adorable, i love the print and the colorway, however, in the 90s there was a huge resurgence of retro styling in the Hawaiian apparel industry; i would date this dress to that time period, the 90s at the very oldest, and it could very well be newer than that.

5. Ineke Veenstra

Hmm 70's or 90's ? That is a huge difference. What is it about the care label that dates it to 70's or 90's?

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that is NOT a 70s dress. a 70s Malia dress would either be a maxi, or a mini, not street length. That care label is NOT a 1970s care label.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Sorry what I meant and should have said was that, that much fabric content and care details would make it at least 1970's. I agree this style of dress can go on looking much the same through all the later decades.
    Mary makes a good point about the 90's showing a resurgeance of 1960's styles (and details).

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This is a difficult one to id as I have seen similar labels dating it to the 70s but not with the sizing indicated in this fashion.

I wonder if you tried to contact the actual company which still exists but only makes uniforms now, if they may have info about exactly when the
    dress production ended. I know I have seen that sort of ribbed cotton used in the 70s but they may have continued to use it a later time as well.

I could not easily locate a website url link to them.

Uniforms By Malia Inc

98-019 Kamehameha Highway # 2
    Aiea, HI 96701
    Phone: (808) 487-5399

Also meant to ask, do you think there is any chance that it was shortened?

9. maliadress07.jpg maliadress01.jpg

This was a dress a I had on Ruby Lane some time ago and sold! I dated this one to the 1970's.

10. poppysvintageclothing

Bonnie's shows that cardboard sizing label...thanks for posting your dress & label.

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Regarding the length, perhaps it used to be a maxi and was shortened.

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Even though the label is the same, it's the red lettering on the OP's tag that is giving me a later date than 70s for her dress, it is completely different from tags in 60s-70s dresses.

13. poppysvintageclothing

I did actually find a little more info on the company through the Better Business Bureau site.

the company started in 1959 - and a file was opened up with the BBB in 1989, this info found is using the Uniforms by Malia, Inc. name.

another site states the uniform company has been in business for 19 years

14. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

It would help if you gave us measurements of the dress to compare to the size stated on the tag...14
    If it is 70s it would probably measure much smaller than a modern 14.

15. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

I'm wondering if it was shortened as well. Gorgeous print BTW.
    Melody

16. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I found that the name Uniforms by Malia, Inc was incorporated in Hawaii in 1992 which would be 21 years. However, according to several articles that I have read about the company, Malia of Hawaii or later Malia, Inc. started in 1961. I also read that by the mid to late 1980's Malia had begun making "identity wear" in response to the market and it's not clear if they made women's fashion items in the late 1980's or early 1990's. I have the impression they did not.

I have the same question as Brenda about the size 14 sizing. My "gut" feeling on this dress is that it is older rather than newer - probably 1970's. It may have been shortened from a midi or maxi dress - or what Malia called "patio" dresses. How long is it?

Malia did branch out and make one line of Mu'u mu'u's but primarily they made sportswear, patio dresses and street wear. Most of their sales were outside of Hawaii.

Aloha,

Linn

cactusandcattails likes this.
  17. joules

joules VFG Member

I've been following along here, and my feeling has been 70s from the start.
    It will be interesting to see once the measurements are in, if the size 14 makes sense for the decade.

18. Ineke Veenstra

Wow, I did not notice the many replies.. I don't know if it is shortened. I will measure the dress this afternoon.

19. On the size 14 dress that I posted, it did measure smaller than today's size 14....actually more like a size 10 by today's standards. The print and colors were really great!

20. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

That will be an American size 14 right?