1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info pls: genuine vintage Superior Model Form

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Caroline Gillgrass, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Caroline Gillgrass

Caroline Gillgrass Registered Guest

Hello folks! I'm hoping someone might be able to enlighten me on this beautiful antique dress form my father was gifted. The stand casting says Superior Model Form Co and has a NY address. I've done some research and see lots of SMF mannequins but not one with this type of fabric or in this condition. I'm very intrigued. Would anyone know how old it is? (It should be pre-195x, which is when SMF changed its name to Superior Model Forms - plural...) Any idea on value or best way to sell it would be appreciated - it's lovely but we don't need it. We're located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - 8 hrs drive from NYC! [​IMG]

file.jpeg file1.jpeg file2.jpeg file3.jpeg file4.jpeg file5.jpeg file6.jpeg

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

cool mannequin, Caroline! @Jonathan ...reminds me of the one on your logo. :)

Caroline Gillgrass likes this.
  3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

We can't do price valuations here. as to condition - does it still have the pedal to raise and lower the form? That's kind of important, value wise. I can tell you these cost a fortune to ship as they are so heavy and don't break down size wise. You may well be better off selling it locally - think theaters, costume shops, maybe vintage dealers.

If it's labeled a sz 16, you could measure the bust and see how that compares to SZ 16 bust measurements in older patterns. For example, I have an early 1950s Vogue pattern where a SZ 16 is a 34" bust. And a 1960s pattern where a Sz 16 is a 36" bust.

From the not super defined waist, I'd agree with the pre 1950s. The manufacture on these hasn't changed a lot over the years.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  4. Caroline Gillgrass

Thanks for those tips! I'll definitely do that.

5. I wouldnt put it any earlier than 1940 early 1950s. Because of the shape.
    My older ones have a perfect defined waist for antique clothing.
    Also the finial on top is later. My older ones have a wheel like top.

Like this [​IMG]

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

two breasts but slim hips -- looks 1930s to me - maybe early 40s.

7. Caroline Gillgrass

I measured and it seems to be a 39" bust. I googled and haven't yet found older sizing with that bust size except for 70's which seems unlikely. Any ideas? I also took a couple additional photos.

Attached Files:

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I just think that means the 16 written on the base is not the size. I agree with Jonathan - 1930s - early 1940s by shape.