Interview with Robert McCardell, brother of legendary designer, Claire McCardell

That label comes up on eBay from time to time. It's a plain white label with black print that reads "Claire McCardell." It's usually found in 1990s silk playsuits. Really BAD, horrible prints.

If anyone ever runs across this label, please photograph it for the label resource, as I'm adding the information about it and we do need a label shot.

I want to thank Viviene, and let everyone know that she is letting the Guild use part of the interview on the label resource! Thanks, so much.

These personal insights really give the label resource depth, imo.

Lizzie

Thank you so much for this Marge! What a cool thing~ Since you've offered, I'm going to link to it in my blog, as I bring up Claire McCardell often enough.

(Here's my blog link.)

Thanks Maggie.

I talked to Mr. McCardell again and asked him if Claire is buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery (my grandfather is buried there) as is Francis Scott Key. He wrote back that she is buried there so I'll be paying my respects when I visit my grandfather at Thanksgiving.

I decided not to ask Mr. McCardell if i can meet him in person. If he suggests it I'd do it in a heartbeat but he's already given me so much that I don't feel right asking.

Back