1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irene Suit-40's? Plus Fabric ID

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bluevelvetvintage, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bluevelvetvintage

bluevelvetvintage VFG Member

Irene Suit-40\'s? Plus Fabric ID

Want to try and get this suit listed before the end of the month. Can anyone confirm for me whether this is late 40's or not?

Plus need opinion on fabric. It has vertical and horizontal slubs. Lining is silk, so can I safely assume suit is also? There's nowhere that I can cut a piece to do a burn test.

Thanks
    Theresa

Blue Velvet Vintage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

Looks like it could be rayon in a linen like weave.

Very pretty Looks late 40's early 50's to me

3. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

I'm far from an expert, but Peter pan collar and 3/4 sleeve looks late forties/early fifties to me. I think that linen-weave rayon is correct too...

It's a lovely number. I love the self-fabric covered buttons with the fancy button at top. Great fitted silhouette. Nice!

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

An Irene! those usually do well. The fabric could be silk - does it have a sort of crunchy feel?

Hollis

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

It could be burlap and with an Irene label it would still do well for you.

I'm also going to say late 40s/early 50s.

Unfortunately, I can't tell if the fabric is silk or a linen/rayon woven.

Dynamite suit! Lucky you!

Sue

6. bluevelvetvintage

Thanks everyone! At least now I know I was close on the date. As far as the fabric, I'll just have to cover my a@@ by saying it could be either silk or a linen/rayon weave. Don't want to mislead anyone.

Now I'm off to attempt to write some kind of half decent description!

Theresa

7. artisannes

artisannes VFG Member VFG Past President

I think it is very likely a silk - she used the best fabrics .

She started her own shop in the late 20's (having been to design school) and in early 1930 her husband died. She went to France and spent several months there greiving before returning in 1933 to open a larger shop as she and her late husband had planned.

She closed that shop fairly quickly and in the same year and joined Bullock's Wilshire as head of their custom design dept. She attracted lots of Hollywood movie stars, one of whom was Delores Del Rio who insisted that Irene design her costumes for the film Flying Down to Rio. Irene then freelanced for lots of the studios until 1942 when she joined MGM.

She set up Irene Inc in 1947 whilst still designing for MGM.

She committed suicide in 1962 by jumping out of a hotel window She was only 55.

8. cosmiccowgirl

cosmiccowgirl Alumni

Nothing more I can add but to say that's just splendid!

9. bluevelvetvintage

How awful she jumped out a window! I never knew that. Lots of good information on her. Thanks!

Theresa

10. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

She committed suicide in 1962 by jumping out of a hotel window

yikes, that is very sad!

at any rate, that is a beautiful suit that anyone would be proud to own.