1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Vintage "Mothproof" sweater safe to wear?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Captain Cosmic, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Captain Cosmic

Captain Cosmic Registered Guest

Good Boxing Day All,

I am new to this site and excited to post. Weird first question. I am looking to buy a vintage 1960s "Harrods" Cashmere sweater (made in Scotland). It is labeled as "Mothproof" and knowing the issues with chemical use in that era, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about it? I usually do not have skin issues and own a number of vintage sweaters and clothes (though none marked as "mothproof"). Am I being too worried?

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. I haven't seen that before but we all know how much moths love cashmere. Great idea if it works and isn't toxic.

I would just wash and wear as normal. I doubt there would be any issues.

3. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

Hi!
    I recall reading in a 1950's magazine from my collection that clothing that was Mothproofed was only guaranteed to be moth free for 6 months, after which time the treatment would have disappeared and the garment would need another application of the moth proofing.
    I have a jacket with a Berlou Moth Proof label on it, see attached. I wear this jacket and have never had problems.
    I would say that if you wash your sweater you should be fine, as time and soap should have removed any moth proofing!

Attached Files:

4. Captain Cosmic

Captain Cosmic Registered Guest

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I let it pass and someone else bought it. It was a nice looking sweater (I liked the color and cut, and vintage cashmere is high quality compared to anything under $200 today) but I was airing on the cautious side. Probably would have been fine. I found this link and want to pass it on about some moth proof vintage items using one particular chemical:

http://coutureallure.blogspot.com/2008/10/vintage-sweaters-dalton-cashmere-and.html

and another example of that product on a sweater:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-50s-Dut...814152?hash=item56914b3b48:g:YMYAAOSwuTxV-hjw

Onto the next old vintage item...

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016