1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my grandmothers eveninggown from the 40'ts?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nina Ekman, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I have merged the two threads

Nina Ekman, MagsRags and Midge like this.
  2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

In the closeup? It looks to me like the blue thread is stitching down half of a snap - if there's no corresponding other half on the other side of the opening, the other side may have fallen off or been removed.
    Vintage woven (as opposed to knit) crepe doesn't really stretch, unless it's cut on the bias.

Nina Ekman likes this.
  3. Nina Ekman

Nina Ekman Registered Guest

Thank you so very much for your help! :)

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Nina Ekman

Thank you! :) No there's nothing at all on the other side.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's definitely European made, possibly French, not American and probably not British - the overcast selvedge, the use of hessian... These are typical of French and some German makers, also probably Swedish, but dressmaker made, not manufactured. Is there a mark on the zipper pull (opti, eclaire?) The tear drop pull is also more typical of European zips, but it looks suspiciously like it may have been a replacement. An early zipper should have brass teeth or brass that has been painted black, or shiny black celluloid. I would have to see it mounted on a form, but I think this could be just postwar - c. 1946ish, or possibly wartime although evening gowns are rare during war in Europe after about 1940 (Although Sweden was neutral and had more social occasions, so it could be wartime Swedish). It could be 1939ish, but the draping strikes me as more wartime/postwar.

Nina Ekman and MagsRags like this.
  6. Nina Ekman

Thank you so very much Jonathan!
    I always thought it was made for her, since I have another one of hers with almost identical cut.
    Yes, I do think that the zipper has been replaced, especially since it's about 10 centimeters too long for the seem.
    Wartime would make it swedish, since there's no possible way that she would have gone to France and have dresses made for her, and my grandparents were no friends of Germany, at all.
    Do you have any idea at all about the material in the sholder pads? I'm just curious, since I've never seen anything like it. :)