1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a place to find out about this top

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by outoftheattic2u, May 26, 2019.

1. outoftheattic2u

outoftheattic2u Registered Guest

HELP! I have this jacket top from a 2pc suit and I can't find anything about this. Its not on ebay or eysy or in a search engine.

Attached Files:

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

At first glance, it looks 80s to me - how padded are the shoulders?

3. outoftheattic2u

The shoulders are not heavily padded, just enough to know that they are there. This is made very well. Thank you all for getting back to me. I really appreciate it.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here are a couple of online references, both from 1970...
    2E360558-B097-4892-B499-9C75D2E4E08D.jpeg 76D6B19D-D717-41EA-AAD3-4F42241C1CFE.jpeg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found about six other references to Alvira and they are all from 1970 and they give no more information than Bill Alvira of Junior Charm, except one that says he will make a personal appearance at the store, so I guess there really was a Bill Alvira.

foofoogal likes this.
  6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a bit more about Alvira, among which was one 1975 ad that mentioned him.

Here is some biographical information about him, from a 1967 article:

“Bill Alvira, a young designer from New York, who was showing his Park Lane junior collection at Gimbels...”

“ Mr. Alvira...of Spanish ancestry with, he says, “A dash of Italian for luck.” He started in movies and sang professionally for several years, but developed terrible stage fright...in order to relax he started sketching and a new career was born.”

“‘Anne Klein was my mentor,’ he said. ‘She gave me a job with Junior Sophisticates and I did everything from going out for sandwiches to picking up pins.’”

“He laughs about his designing career with Dynasty, which took him to the Orient more often than he liked.”

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Well, thank you. My research skills are not amazing, but I hope you are correct about them being “facilitating” (can’t add my smiley face to this edited reply?)

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Oh, yeah, I suspected exactly that, but I rather prefer ‘facilitating,’ don’t you?

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Lynne, you have facilitated my research many times and I thank you!

lkranieri likes this.
  10. outoftheattic2u

Thank you so much for all this info. I really appreciate all you have done.