1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a newer Whiting and Davis purse?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by gaildavid, Feb 6, 2005.

1. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

I am not sure if this purse is vintage or not. It is a Whiting and Davis eggshell colored metalic mesh:

[​IMG]

The outside tag reads "Whiting and Davis International" and the inside tag reads "Made in China". It was purchased at an antique shop which does not usually carry anything modern but I am confused......

Thanks.....Gail

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

It is newer, but i would have to see labels to see "how new".
    Does it have the label printed like a logo print in the lining or is there an actual tag. If actual tag, it would be great to add to the W&D listing in the label resource. Reminds me to take a photo of my 60s. this is Definitely newer than 60s without seeing the label.

Whiting and Davis still makes their metal mesh in Massachusetts, but now some of their actual purses are farmed out.

I am not surprised an antique shop has it because they consider W &D a collectible brand (which people do collect it even though it is not on the runway and some of their bags aren't practical). And they just might not know because some of the mesh styles haven't changed in ages.

It is probably aluminum mesh vs brass. (not a bad thing...they just make more than one type), This is different than Alumesh which looks like little pillows.

3. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

The inside lining has "Whiting and Davis" written throughout....and there is a small white tag which reads "Made in China" attached to the side. I can get a picture later today if needed. (I am off to run errands and get lunch started when I get home). Thanks Chris.

Gail

4. alonesolo

alonesolo Guest

I have a blue one like that and I always considered it to be disco era.

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

You are most welcome. I am wanting to say 80s at the oldest.. I will have to do some snooping to give you a better idea.