1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a nurse's uniform or dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintage Runway, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

This looks like a uniform to me, rather than a dress. Your thoughts? Era? It's cotton with subtle textured striped collar and cuffs.

Thanks!

DSC_1942 copy.jpg DSC_1943.JPG DSC_1944.JPG DSC_1945.JPG DSC_1946.JPG DSC_1947.JPG DSC_1948.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see some sort of uniform, especially with the breast pocket which I might not think would be a dress of the period. Looks circa 1913-1914, but I am not sure.

I love it!

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't believe so, but it is influenced by uniforms. The dress looks c. 1916 to me (ankle length, A-line skirt, bloused bodice with front closing, wide, open collar, loose fitting sleeves...), so right in the middle of WW1. Blue striped uniforms were worn by nurses up to WW1 era when pure white became the standard. However, if it were a uniform the collar would not be that open, or wide, the fabric would be heavier to allow for more rigorous laundering, the buttons would most likely be removable, and the styling would be a little more conservative (skirt not as full, blouse not as bloused, etc. Contrasting collars and cuffs would also be removable if they contrasted with the body of the dress. I think its just a summer dress with a sporty, uniform look.

4. Vintage Runway

Vintage Runway VFG Member

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Jonathan, your explanation makes perfect sense. Now I can see this worn for picnics, seaside, or casual summer outings. Or just around the home. I really love it.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Actually, its a great example of war influenced fashion. Walking suits from this period are often khaki with buttoned pockets etc. imitating soldier uniforms, so this too is imitating, or inspired by, women's nursing uniforms. Good example from the era.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

By sheer coincidence, I was leafing through an old Vogue magazine last night and came across this 1918 photo of young female students in Rhode Island canning food for soldiers. Their dresses reminded me of this thread.

wwi1.JPG