1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this a wedding dress and possible date?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Melonie, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

The label says Harzfelds which I guess is a dept store. There is a paper type label in the dress that has no markings left... and the harzfelds label.

Attached Files:

2. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harzfeld's

It looks like Harzfeld's was a Kansas City, Missouri-based department store chain.

I believe the dress could be (and might have been) worn for a wedding, but would have been sold as a dress, not a wedding dress especially. At that time, women would have worn such a dress, especially since it is trimmed with the flowers, for another formal event. It would make a great wedding dress though!

This is an image from 1971—more or less the same era.

Image-651.jpg

laurenm, Retro Ruth and MagsRags like this.
  3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks to me like a late 1960s "Prairie Style" dress that could have been worn as a wedding dress. I would not call it a "wedding gown."

Edit: I posted at the same time, Maggie!

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Definitely 70s in my opinion.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I wore something very similar but in blue for my cousin's wedding, I was a bridesmaid at his wedding in 1970.

7. Melonie

Melonie Registered Guest

As usual you guys are awesome! I am having so much fun with my adventures into vintage clothes, your label resource is fabulous!! Thank you!!!

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I love the copy on that Singer ad, Maggie! "your favourite cathedral is a tree somewhere"

denisebrain likes this.