1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this just an early dry cleaning label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cltvintagefinders, Oct 6, 2014.

1. cltvintagefinders

cltvintagefinders Registered Guest

I did complete the burn test. I still feel that it's rayon.

2. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

you're welcome. do it!!

3. Lovely! So we have a rayon velvet gown with a silk faille lining - I'm still in the '40s camp, I'll put it as late '40s thanks to the lining, thin straps and construction details.

Either way you have a beautiful gown.

cltvintagefinders likes this.
  4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

This got me thinking, what if it's a faded dry cleaner's label that has then been written on for owner ID? To those who've seen these old dry cleaner's tags before - have they been written on in marker pen or was it printed or written carefully in ink like custom made garment labels?
    It's the way this is written that makes it hard for me to believe it was a form of advertisement, it just doesn't look professional enough.

5. joules

joules VFG Member

I agree Joan, that your example clearly illustrates "coffin pleats" / "coffin draping". That keyword gets thrown around with wild abandon, doesn't it? Especially with Halloween approaching!
    It's ruching, plain and simple; I'd not have applied any other description.

Those heavy metal staple fasteners always freak me out, like hey, let's not damage the goods. Yikes.

Good going on the burn testing, to confirm rayon.
    You could also burn test the lining, to be sure.
    I'd expect to find rayon acetate.
    I feel this is 40s too.

6. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

that makes a lot of sense!

julie, heh, yes, the term does get thrown around a lot. i feel the same way, those old staples were usually so thick and wide, it is worrying removing them without being concerned about damaging the fabric.

7. cltvintagefinders

cltvintagefinders Registered Guest

As a Newbie, I have to say.. I Love the dialogue, along with the comparison of notes! It make me feel like I'm "at home" here.

8. joules

joules VFG Member