1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this vintage YSL Variation dress genuine?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Fridanoodle, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Fridanoodle

Fridanoodle Registered Guest

Hi!
    I'm new to the forum and would like some help judging whether a dress I have found is genuine YSL (as it is quite pricey..but really pretty!)
    • Couldn't spot the exact same label in the Label Resource. The Variation labels pictured have a border around the text, but I'm hoping there may have been other versions used..
    • Another warning sign to me is the fact that the buttons haven't been sewed on straight. Seems like a basic thing that a real design house would get right, but then again Variation was YSL's cheaper line from my understanding
    Thoughts? Let me know, I greatly appreciate your help! Also, if it is real, I'd love a date on this thing, my guess is late 80s, early 90s :)
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

Hello there, I'm no expert but after a bit of research online I think that the Variation label refers to a line of ready to wear clothes specifically produced for distribution in shops like Dickins and Jones and Harrods.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Pretty dress - I'd have bought that one too! As per the forum rules, we cannot authenticate items here. But it is from a ready to wear line, where you would not find the same measure of detail as in a couture item. Im guessing these buttons were sewn on by machine, and speaking from my own experience as a sewer, with some buttons it's actually not that easy to get them all straight, so I would not worry too much about that.

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Variation and Encore were inexpensive rtw from YSL. Rive Gauche was the most expensive.
    Dress is very nice and I would have worn it too.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Also, you find most machine sewn buttons on garments don't last that long at all as they are not finished off - this means the wearer is often forced to sew them back on themselves, and well, some people just aren't fussy about which way a logo goes :) I love the detail in the buttons though. I'll bet they cost as much as the fabric used to make the dress.

6. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Melanie, something I've noticed with buttons and the way they are sewn. When they have a stem (which they should), they frequently twist. Even though this was an expensive rtw dress, the buttons were probably sewn by machine.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That's what I meant to say... those types of buttons twist easily, even if you want to sew them on nicely. And yes, probably sewn on by machine.