1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Audrey Hepburn month on TCM

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Coutureallure, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

It\'s Audrey Hepburn month on TCM

Starting tonight, and every Wednesday in July, Audrey Hepburn will be the featured star on Turner Classic Movies. Tonight's films are "Roman Holiday" (1953) at 8:00 and "Sabrina" (1954) at 10:15. Edith Head did the costumes for both of these films. If asked, I would have guessed that Givenchy designed for "Sabrina", but his first film for Audrey was "Funny Face" in 1957.

More information from "Hollywood Costume Design" by David Chierichetti:

"The 1950's brought a new breed of actresses into the Paramount fold, and the versatile Head changed her techniques to accommodate them. Besides being a brilliant performer, Audrey Hepburn had the kind of rail-thin, broadshouldered, miniscule-waisted figure all designers fantasize about when they make their sketches. Head exploited this figure in 'Roman Holiday' and 'Sabrina': ignoring her usual expertise at camouflage, she did not envelope Hepburn's long neck in chokers, turtle necks or furs, did not hide her collarbone under swathings of chiffon and did not pad her bustline. Even her legs, muscular from years as a dancer, were played up in short, tight toreador pants and her big feet got bigger in flat Capezios. The pants and shoes swept the country."

If you reference Audrey alot in your auctions, you owe it to yourself to watch these films! Enjoy!

Jody

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Thanks so much for this Audrey alert, Jody. I love watching her films over and over. <I>Roman Holiday</i> is the ultimate fashion makeover film! Watch it to see how Princess Anne transforms herself in 24 short hours!

Some of the clothing in <I>Sabrina</i> was designed by Givenchy, although Head got the credit - and the Oscar - because she had the contract. From the label resource:

Starting in 1954 with the movie Sabrina, he designed for Audrey Hepburn, and he continued to design for her throughout her career. The story goes that Hepburn went to Givenchy's couture house, looking for some dresses to wear in Sabrina. Upon hearing that Miss Hepburn was in the house, Givenchy assumed that the visitor was Katherine Hepburn. He was so busy preparing for his upcoming show, that he told her he could not design the outfits, but that she was welcome to look through the racks of clothing left over from a previous show. The clothes Audrey Hepburn selected went on to win a Best Designer Oscar (though the award went to Edith Head, as the official designer of the movie) and Hepburn and Givenchy went on to become the best of friends.

Head did design some of the clothes, such as the dress at the beginning of the film, and the cute shorts she wore sailing, but all the major pieces came from Givenchy!

3. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Thanks for that clarification, Lizzie! I knew that gorgeous evening gown had to be Givenchy. I just couldn't find it in any of my books. Boy, am I red-faced for not checking the label resource.

Jody

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Jody, I think I've read almost everything ever written about her! In a recent <I>Bazaar</i> there was an interview with Givenchy in which he recalled their first meeting. It was the beginning af a beautiful friendship!

Lizzie

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Two threads on Audrey in one day :)

It must be her day!

This is interesting reading!