1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jean Patou Silk Dress Dating Help Please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Mar 19, 2019.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hello all,

I found this beautiful dress at a thrift store and am having difficulty dating it. It appears to be either a sack style dress or possibly bedroom attire. The stitching is exquisite, all the seams have a single straight stitch excepting the collar which has a zig zag stitch and the hem which is beautifully hand sewn.

There are shoulder pads which may have been added in later but have disintegrated, there is a tiny amount of what feels like disintegrated paper inside them.

The front has a hand sewn loop and hook plus a number of ties, the bottom of the dress is closed and there are side slits.

The internal label looks to have either been resewn in the same place or possible moved to another place? It is located on the inside side seam around the mid way point. Pictures below. Wouldlove some advice on the dating of this dress. My gut feeling is that it is no later than the 70s but apart from that i'm lost.

thumbnail_IMG_5651.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5653.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5652.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5657.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5654.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5655.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5656.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5659.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

My first impression is the early 1970s but then I look at it again and see a bit of a Russian Cossack influence to the styling. The film version of Dr. Zhivago was released in 1965. I am leaning towards the 60s on it.

Metro Retro Vintage and GemGem like this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thank you so much, that s incredibly helpful,

I was wondering about the pleats indicating 70s but I think they were around in the 60s too to a lesser extent. I just had a google search and it does seem Jean Patou had a few pleated style dresses out in the 60s. That's spot on for the Cossack connection, I had crudely thought of a sack dress, haha.

Really appreciate your time and insight, thanks again.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It can't be later than 1987 since that was the last year a fashion collection was done by Patou. I think this is more likely 70s though and because of its length I am thinking early-mid 70s, after 76 the hemlines get longer. but that dark teal colour is so popular in the early-mid 70s too.

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Fantastic information, as ever, thank you so much for taking the time to share this, much appreciated!