1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumpin' Jack Flash - Shop information

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lily K.Chadwick, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Lily K.Chadwick

Lily K.Chadwick Registered Guest

The next item I was hoping to find more information about was an unofficial piece of Rolling Stones merchandise, specifically a belt buckle.
    It was bought by the original owner circa 1970 from Jumpin' Jack Flash(which was on 227 east 59th street in NY).
    So far, I've only been able to find out that the shop was known for selling glam rock gear, but was wondering if you'd come across any more information about them before?

(The picture's from the listing as it's yet to arrive.)

Kind regards,
    Lily

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

This gives you some date parameters for the shop...

IMG_5451.JPG

3. Lily K.Chadwick

Ikranieri - Many thanks! I've had trouble finding any information at all, so I really appreciate it!

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

A flash from the past indeed! I think your buckle may date to 1972. That was when The Stones started using the big lips in their marketing, if I recall. They did a 1972 tour of the USA and I saw them in New York City. One of the best shows ever. At the end of the concert they came out and threw buckets of cold water on us to get us to stop screaming for more encores. It had the opposite effect as it revitalized us and we kept screaming and clapping. They came out and did 2 more songs!

I bought a black t shirt, I think it was at JJF that same year with red lips made of red rhinestones studs. Wish I still had it.

Ahh, those were the days.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  5. Lily K.Chadwick

Hi Barbara, thanks so much for your reply and memories! I can't stress how much I wish I could have been at that concert(or any other early Stones concert really!), it sounds like rather an incredible experience!
    Also, sounds like a great t-shirt, will keep my eye out and if I happen to come across one, I'd be happy to let you know!

Kind regards,
    Lily

6. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  7. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

John Pasche designed the Rolling Stones tongue and lips logo in 1971. He worked with the Stones (and many other bands!) during the early 70s, designing tour posters etc...

8. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

He actually was commissioned by Mick in 1969.
    Took this from the Exhibitionism show this week--

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Julie C.

Julie C. Registered Guest

10. Lily K.Chadwick

Late reply, but thanks ever so much for the links/information on the logo, its been a really interesting read!

11. Jillian Valentino

Jillian Valentino Registered Guest

Lily, would you be willing to sell this belt buckle?! I’m so in love!

12. SIMON RUSSELL

SIMON RUSSELL Registered Guest

I have the original art work used for advertising in The East Village Other, the artist Finn was a family friend

IMG_5391 (5).jpg IMG_5391 (5).jpg

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

14. SIMON RUSSELL

SIMON RUSSELL Registered Guest

Its not a print, its the original artwork that was used in advertising for Jumpin Jack Flash. I'm told it was used in The East Village Other. The artist, Finn was a family friend who gave it to me. Finn owned an art gallery in New York called the T-shirt Gallery where artists would hold exhibitions and create original works on T-shirts as well as selling regular printed t-shirts. Artists like Peter Max, Michael Knigin, and Keith Haring were exhibitors. I still have a couple of Peter Max Originals to Celebrity Studio 54 events in 1984.

15. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

That is a fantastic piece of original advertising art!

16. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

would love to see the Peter Max originals if and when you have a chance to share here, too??? maybe post separately in a thread in this forum?? even though it's not fashion, it's still fabulous!!

cmpollack likes this.
  17. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Simon, I am sorry about that, it is great that you have the "original" piece, as well as those other fabulous sounding Peter Max pieces.

amandainvermont and cmpollack like this.