1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Know anything about Vago of California?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by APrizeEveryTime, Nov 29, 2008.

1. APrizeEveryTime

APrizeEveryTime VFG Special Friend

Hi, all. This label is a new one on me. It's in this machine-embroidered party dress:

[​IMG]

I assume the worn-away part of the label originally read "Juniors."

[​IMG]

Anything I should know about the name, where the line was carried or anything? (Sorry, I don't know how to make the little accent mark thingie above the "a.")

Thanks!

MC
    (Mary Catherine)

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here are a few newspaper snippets that give you a little bit of information about Vago...

From a 1956 California newspaper article about California fashions: "Phil Altbaum's "Vago" collection featured the 'long, lean look.' This was achieved both by the use of longer skirts and also through apron-wide striped panels, which extended from neck to hem on otherwise solid-colored dresses. His 'Mancini' line did follow the empire look, but sheaths were eased via hip tucks."

From a 1957 article about sheaths: The creation, a Vago junior, featured a fingertip middy and pleated underskirt."

From a 1957 article about fashion: "...from the designers we talked to during the intermission, Louis Tabak, Phil Altbaum (Mancini-Vago Jrs.) ..."

From a 1956 newspaper: "Famous for her startling combinations of brilliant colors, her use of handsome textures in completely original designs is Betty Ingvold, designer for Vago, Jrs., for Phil Altbaum."

From a 1964 newspaper: "In the '50s Betty (Ingvold) went to the Phil Altbaum organization in Los Angeles, introduced its Vago division, was there credited with introducing the avant garde approach to California junior clothes. No longer did they look like 'little girl clothes' when Betty designed in striking combinations of aqua and orange, pink and red, blue and green. Her work contributed to this category becoming 'a size, not an age' as the trend is now described"

Lynne

3. APrizeEveryTime

Gosh, I'd love to see those "striking combinations of aqua and orange, pink and red, blue and green." And that's an interesting comment about juniors becoming "a size, not an age."

Great info! Thanks so much, Lynne.

MC

4. APrizeEveryTime

And I know what a middy is, but I don't know the term "fingertip middy." (I *love* clothing vocab!)

5. Nothing of any substance to add - just wanted to say how lovely that dress looks!

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That info really is interesting!

And the dress is just lovely!

I had a 60s party dress with similar shape/proportions (mine had a metallic bodice and red chiffon skirt) and I remember wondering why the hem was so huge! I assumed the owner had taken it up to keep up with fashion, but now I'm wondering if that was a manufacturing feature? (Ie even though junior is a style, not an age, maybe some of the customer base consisted of still-growing young women? Just a wild guess...)