1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Label Assistance

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ReilVintage, Aug 11, 2016.

1. ReilVintage

ReilVintage Registered Guest

Hi all!
    Found a super cute set today. Still has original hang tags. It's a short pleated skirt with built in bloomers! Matching sleeveless top. It's darling. It has pinked seams and also some overlocking. I've searched the tag to no avail. Any thoughts on the label or age? I can post some larger photos this evening if needed. As always I appreciate the help! I've gathered WPL numbers ended in 59?

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

sounds (and looks, from the label illustration) like a 1950s summer outfit.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  3. ReilVintage

I'll post a better picture when I can. I was wondering if it could possible be a tennis set?

4. ReilVintage

Quick snaps

Attached Files:

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I've never seen patterned items made exclusively for tennis - they tend to be of the plain white, sometimes with coloured trims variety. There are others here better informed than I on sportswear however.
    The bloomer/skirted bottom appears in swimwear around this time though as a fashion statement.
    What is the size? if it is relatively small it might be a young girl's outfit. I associate the combined bloomers/skirt with a child mostly. There were adult garments with matching bloomers but they tend to be seperate pieces.
    Are there any more labels in the garments?

6. ReilVintage

There are no other labels aside from the hang tag and I've combed over it inside out. It's labeled a size 16 and it actually fits me and I'm a modern 4/6 depending.

7. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Just came in to say what a darling set you have!! Love the color and style. Reminds me of something I would have worn in the early 60s.

Gail

8. ReilVintage

Thanks Gail!
    I went back to it several times at the shop and finally just bought it. It's in perfect condition.

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I don't have a lot of information about your brand and question of purpose, but some of the things I found include:

-- Miracle Sportswear ads were almost exclusively from the 1950's, until a much newer brand of the same name appeared in the early 1990's.
    -- Most of the Miracle Sportswear ads I found were not for what any of us would call sportswear--dressier, pleated, below-the-knee skirts, long-sleeved blouses, and sweaters.
    -- The only tennis-related clothing I found from them is in this photo:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  10. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Sorry, I was interrupted by the doctor coming in (his office, not the hospital or something) for my checkup...

image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

And to continue...

This mid-1950's ad indicates there were two business addresses for Miracle Sportswear

image.jpeg

12. ReilVintage

Interesting. Thank you! When I lookedBut the WPL number it listed Mass as the company address.

13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

and, finally, in this 1957 city directory for Waltham MA you see Miracle Sportswear Co Inc at 144 Moody. The vice president was Carl Silverman...

image.jpeg

...and on another page in that same directory you see Moody Dress Co. at 144 Moody and the vice president was Carl Silverman:

image.jpeg

ReilVintage likes this.
  14. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I forgot to add that a 1954 article commented: "For the golfing wife who can get Pop to baby sit, a blouse of baby blue and white check cotton, by Miracle Sportswear, paired with a pinch-pleated Bermuda skirt of the same fabric..." I thought that sounded somewhat like your item, although your item didn't look like a golf outfit to me. In a second newspaper I found a photo of that outfit and the check was very big and the skirt was almost to the knees. It just had enough similarities to lead me to wonder if your outfit was sold around the same time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Pinkcoke and ReilVintage like this.
  15. ReilVintage

Thank you so much for your help!

16. ReilVintage

Very interesting!

17. ReilVintage

Thanks to all for the research assistance! It is much appreciated!

18. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

That's great evidence Lynne. It sounds like Miracle Sportswear were the equivalent of the british Sportaville who took the definition of 'sportwear' to a new fashion level.
    I don't think any of us would have guessed a golf viewing outfit!

19. ReilVintage

I googled the building address of the Miracle Sportswear Co. And it is now converted into condos. But how interesting a building history! image.png

20. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Melanie, I am sorry that I seem to have completely confused the issue with my last post. I was trying to say the description of the golf outfit with a pinch-pleated Bermuda skirt and checked fabric sounded a bit like the poster's outfit, but when I finally found a photo of the golf clothes, they didn't look like it (see picture here). I was trying to say the pinch-pleated shorter skirt and the checked cotton fabric may point to a similar era for ReilVintage's outfit. This is what the Miracle Sportswear golf costume looked like...

image.jpeg

Pinkcoke and ReilVintage like this.