1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Label/Brand identification (1940s)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lilith, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Lilith

Lilith Registered Guest

Hi I’ve had a vintage dress for about ten years, from the 1940s, but have never been able to find information about the brand on the label and I was wondering if anyone could help me identify it? I’ve taken a picture of the label for you to look at, and any help in solving this mystery would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

I would also agree that this label looks much newer both because of the styling as well as the material it is made of and the content tag underneath. Photos of the entire dress would help us with dating.

4. Lilith

Lilith Registered Guest

Thanks for all your replies. It was from a vintage shop in West Village way back when and date labelling there was never wholly accurate. I’m at work currently but I’ll take a photo of the whole dress when I get home.

5. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Good sleuthing, Katarzyna!

I agree that the font and other label details do not look 40s, and that seeing the entire dress would be very helpful.

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

A flurry of crossposting!

7. Lilith

Lilith Registered Guest

8. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

the serging looks more modern, and a 40s dress would not be labelled 100% polyamide. Nylon is a form of polyamide, and nylon did exist in the 40s, but wouldn't be labelled like this.

Vintagiality, Midge and MagsRags like this.