1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lace identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Vinclothes, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Awesome! Thanks Marian

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Except the crochet lace they show, isn't crochet.

Crochet is a single thread lace. The main picture showing is a multi thread lace, some kind of machine-made bobbin lace I think. As are many of the laces shown in the crochet section, such as this one. I guess it has a similar vibe to crochet lace, but a totally different construction.

True crochet lace can't be machine-made afaik, and so isn't in mass production.

I think it's become common though to refer to these machine-made, but somehow slightly 'homespun' looking laces, as crochet lace. Completely inaccurate though.

The geometric squares Italian made lace, is perhaps made in imitation of filet crochet. But it's not filet crochet in construction.

And I think this one is some kind of chemical lace, the threads machine-embroidered on to a fabric which is then dissolved chemically

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    GemGem and Vintagiality like this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I'm so glad to have you both respond. I wondered, too, about their designation of "crochet lace."
    No wonder we get so confused. Would it be better to say: "crochet trim or crochet edging?
    Marian

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Retro Ruth likes this.
  6. Retro Ruth

None of them are crochet in any shape or form.

I'm not sure what you should call it, especially given it seems to be commonly used in this inaccurate way. Perhaps faux crochet lace? I see they've used that for some of the laces.

The first one I'd call machine made bobbin lace. At least I think that is correct.

7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, in my view, if crochet is not the technique used to make it, it should not be called corchet in anyway, except maybe faux crochet.

8. Retro Ruth

Midge likes this.
  9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

This discussion sent me back to a reference I have found useful:
    Legacy of Lace, Identifying, Collecting, and Preserving American Lace, Kathleen Warnick and Shirley Nilsson, Crown Publishers, Inc. New York

The index lists pages and pages of references to crochet. I will report back if I find anything helpful.
    Marian

Retro Ruth and MagsRags like this.