1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Grover Street Girl

Grover Street Girl Registered Guest

Hi, thanks in advance for your assist!

My thoughts are that this is 1914-1920, but it still puzzles me. Am I correct that it would not be a “day dress”? The fabrics seem more casual, but the style seems more formal.

Also, the skirt is currently attached to the bodice (only in the back), but it seems awkward. Would they have originally been 2 pieces? The skirt waist is larger than the bodice waist.
    Would it have had paniers? Was it meant to sit at the natural waist?

Bodice has princess seams, is unlined, & fitted, with elbow length sleeves and circular ruffle. The skirt is heavily gathered to a band with a shorter overskirt.
    Cotton voile, leno weave underskirt, and linen overskirt.

Thanks for any details about how and where this was worn. I appreciate you!
    Ronda

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a bit of a puzzler! And very pretty. It might be, as you say, 'Teens era. It has a bit of that Colonial Revival that was briefly popular in fashion at that time. It seems home made?

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

It looks like a 1910s era Colonial Revival dress up costume to me.

DaisyandStella and lkranieri like this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It does have a costume look to it too.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It might also be one of those 1932 George Washington bicentennial dresses (the 1930s doing the 1730s) It was a big commemorative event at the time. We have a complete costume from then.

lkranieri and DaisyandStella like this.