1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laundering Shaheen

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Hilary, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Hilary

Hilary Registered Guest

Hi everyone, my first post to the forum after haunting it for some time. :)

I have acquired a red Shaheen romper with the chopstick pattern on it. The lining is pretty dingy and I was wondering if there is any advice out there for how to wash it. Generally speaking I'll handwash in oxyclean for things that are really dingy but I'm hesitant because
    a) I don't want to be destructive to the gold in the print and
    b) oxyclean works best when the water is really hot so I'm concerned about the colors bleeding

I'd prefer not dry cleaning it as I also picked up a silk "dry clean only" Shaheen piece and the metallic in the print was worn off - I'm assuming from the cleaners. This is a piece I'd like to wear so I want to learn best practices and know how to clean it. Any hands on experience with laundering Shaheen?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

My experience with Shaheen is most of it - with the metallic - really needs to be cleaned by your best dry cleaner. I have tried to hand wash and lost some of the metallic. Unless it's the 70s Shaheens and I've hand washed those successfully. Those are a different fabric, a man-made fiber.