1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Bo Peep has lost her dress!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by awaywiffairies, Aug 26, 2009.

1. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

:hiya: again!

So sorry to blast you with another question, but they've all come at once!

I have this 80s dress which is very Bo Peep isn't it!

The label is Sander Witlin and I've searched and searched but cannot find anything on him, apart from an art studio designing glass tableware that was founded by a Sander Witlin with a partner who 'combine years of experience in fashion, art...'. Might be him?

The dress looks designer made, no overlocking, attention to detail, bodice/corset is double lined, fully and heavily boned, so it's annoying that I can't find anything on this Sander Witlin.

Does anyone out there know about the label?

Sarah

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

I don't know anything about the label but definitely Bo Peep. I would put corset top! Great time of year to sell it, too!

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I wonder if its German - it looks dirndly... sort of Maria Von Sextrap

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Sextrap that is funny!!!

It is definitely a combo of innocent and sexpot!

5. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

"Maria VonSextrap."
    Heehee - Nice!

6. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

JOHANTHAN!!! LMAO:clapping:

7. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

oops! Jonathan...I was laughing so hard my fingers slipped!!!

8. awaywiffairies

Oh my! Maria Von Sextrap! :embaressed: ! I don't think that was the sales pitch I was going for Jonathan, but what the hey lol! I did initially think it was quite a sweet innocent dress, but on second thoughts I guess it is rather Heidi/Lolilta/Maria Von Sextrap!

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas re this Sander Witlin mystery huh?

Sarah

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I did a quick search and came up with a NY listing for him as an apparel manufacturer, also a 2008 catalogue of tablewares by him at:
    Sander Witlin208 W. 30 At 7th Ave, New York, NY 10001
    p: 212 465 8451
    http://www.newarcadiastudio.com/

And also a reference to someone wearing a Sander Witlin gold lame dress with painted irises on it to a florist's ball in New York in 2000.

It looks to me like Witlin is probably an on-again off-again fashion designer who does a bit of couture, sells designs to shops, and works as a freelance designer.

10. awaywiffairies

:USETHUMBUP: Thanks Jonathan!

I did previously find that studio that he runs & thought that might be him re the bio 'years in fashion..' but I did not find anything about someone wearing a gold lame dress with painted irises to a florists ball in 2000 which is really interesting! I would have loved to have seen that dress, sounds beautiful!

Yes, it would make sense that he's a freelance designer, shame there isn't a great deal on him!

Do you think my Maria Von Sextrap Bo Peep dress is still 1980s and am I safe to sell it as New York couture?

Sarah

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

If the dress were mine I would send him an email and ask! His tablewares are fantastic and your dress of his looks to be high end (albeit a bit of a mixed message) Besides, if he is a designer in NY he would probably like the recognition. Just slather on about how much you like the dress and how you would dearly like to know how old it is...

12. awaywiffairies

Jonathan, I've just sent an email to his studio so I hope he will respond. Be great to get info on the dress and bio on Sander Witlin then I can put both forward for label resource and I'll also be confident in what I'm selling.

I agree his tableware is beautiful.

I await......

13. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Great dress! When I think of the "modern" Dirndls some German celebs wear to Oktoberfest in Munich, it's not far away from that... :duh:

Karin

14. awaywiffairies

Midge, hmm that means that this dress still may attract some buyers...goodie!

I got a reply from Sander Witliin saying he had been in the business for 30 years and giving me his tel no if I wanted to ask any questions. Gawd, I'm dreadful on the phone. Be a good idea to write specific questions down...any help wld be great cos I have a tendency to flap and waffle lol! :help:

15. awaywiffairies

Well, I talked to Sander Witlin and he was very interesting to talk to. Talked very quickly and I had a hard time writing it down and he seemed like a designer who doesn't particularly like the spotlight and that was one of the reasons he changed career direction.

He was in the fashion industry for 30 years selling wholesale and then designing couture Dresses from his new shop on Madison Avenue between 1986 to 2001. That's where my dress would have been designed. He said that the shop sold off the rack couture dresses but also he designed from the premises for international clients, mainly theatre, film and music industry and said that my dress was probably early 1990s and believes it was made for someone from the music industry and that the dress would have cost between $2,500 to $3,500 at the time. Sometimes he was flown to the homes of clients to design a wardrobe. I didn't ask but he directly said he didn't want to disclose any names.

So, if early 90s I don't think I can call it vintage, so what do I do with this couture dress and how much would I ask for such a piece? Oh my.....:help:

Sarah

16. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

17. awaywiffairies

I suppose at the end of the day, it's how much someone's willing to pay for it and if we haven't heard of Sander Witlin I very much doubt anyone else has.

I did want to put it on Etsy but it's not over 20 years old, hmmm

Might even keep it, just to admire.

Sarah

18. GreenVioletVintage

GreenVioletVintage Registered Guest

At Market Publique you can sell "90s vintage". I haven't visited them in a while and I'm not sure how much traffic they are getting as they are a fairly new site, but with all the marketing they are doing I think things will pick up. Also, they seem to cater to a more high-fashion, NYC type than Etsy does so it might just be the place for that dress. What an awesome story!

19. awaywiffairies

Ok, I'll check them out but as I have an Etsy account I wonder if they will consider early 90s vintage?

20. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

I've seen a lot of listings on etsy that have been modern clothing, (not handmade- and defiantly not 20+ years old) listed as vintage. A lot more modern than your 90s dress. For instance this dress http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.ph...pe=vintage&ga_page=9&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

It's pretty much brand new in terms if date. I reported this listing to etsy, but they didn't do anything.

I think you might be fine listing it on etsy. It falls into the high end vintage category, and therefore is much more worthy of being called vintage than something someone bought out of h&m a year ago.