1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to date this straw cap!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Elanger, May 7, 2017.

1. Elanger

Elanger Registered Guest

Hello!
    I am new to this forum— thanks in advance for your help! I am looking to date this cute little straw-type cap I picked up. It looks like some sort of ladies sports cap with the grommets and style of the hat. From the stitching and look of the label, I'm thinking pre-50's, but I'd appreciate any thoughts that you all have! Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a cute hat. I agree it is a woman's sports cap, probably for golf, with that green faced visor bill. You say it is straw, but it looks more like some sort of straw cloth or stiffened fabric. Hard for me to date this one without handling the fabric and seeing it up close. Handling the material would help a great deal. It looks to me like early 1950s (post 1952). However, it could well be late 1930s to 1940. The little paper tag says "Made In Japan" which can indicate either decade, although the style and coloring of the tag indicate more 1950s.

I wish I could be of more help. Perhaps someone else will come along who has more knowledge of ladies golf and sporting caps of the mid 20th century.

Looks to be in very good condition. A nice find.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Looking at it again, the material looks like a type of buckram. Pretty sure that is what it is made of.

Knowing if the grommets are lucite or if they are celluloid might also help date it.

4. Elanger

Elanger Registered Guest

Thank you!!