1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mae West Documentary

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Vinclothes, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Did you see the PBS documentary on Mae West? The clothes! The hats! The jewelry! The men! One of the commentators was Dita Von Tees.
    Marian

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

I am so sorry I missed that. It is going to be on tomorrow at 4am est. I'm going to record it! I've heard it was great.

Distantdetails likes this.
  3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

That wounds wonderful!

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

After reading your post, I plunked my husband next to me on the sofa and we just finished watching it. We both really enjoyed it and I kept thinking throughout that I have to remember those great lines, such as:

HIM: "I've changed my mind"
    MAE WEST: "Does it work any better?"

An impressive woman who got what she wanted, when women didn't do those things...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Its on tonight at 9 PM PST. Can't wait!

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

If you have the PBS Video App, it is on demand. I am not sure when but I will certainly watch it! I added it to my list.

Distantdetails likes this.
  7. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Loved the muscle men....I should get me some of those....

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

9. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I did see it and enjoyed it. IIRC, Bette Midler was a producer, which makes perfect sense to me.

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I really enjoyed it. Bette was slated for a Broadway musical based on Mae, so I wonder if she did this instead while the
    "Great White Way" is still dark. My boyfriend thought it was good but a bit repetitive, he wished they had given more insight into her personal life. I do agree with that, but maybe she was so private that was difficult to research, but still.

When they did a brief segment on her famous figure and how it was copied everywhere, I was hoping they would mention that Elsa Schiaparelli modeled the bottle for her famous perfume "Shocking" on Mae' s figure. Guess they were not aware or did not find it interesting to the viewers.

I think it is wonderful to expose her to a new generation who are not familiar with her life. Kudos to Bette!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.