1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

make your own face masks

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Vinclothes, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I bought my supplies at my local Joann Fabrics - they have been offering curbside pickup, so handy if you leave within a reasonable drive. I have made 12 masks so far for an initial outlay of about $30, and still have enough fabric & interface for another dozen or more. I did have to search out and buy a bulk roll of bias tape for my ties - I went through my original purchase of that fairly quickly. As a former healthcare worker, I always preferred the ties to the elastic comfort-wise.

At this point, Joann has beefed up their how-to information, and it looks like they are offering free Take & Make kits that will make 5 masks. According to the link above, Joann "partners & customers" have donated nearly 20 million sewn facemasks so far.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

A good friend of mine who is sewing masks (and knows I do not sew) sent me this video of a DIY non-sew mask. It looks pretty easy!

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I tried my hand at making a mask this morning, from the wee wee pads that I have to keep on hand for my disabled cat. I found that one 23x23 inch pad can make 8 masks.

The materials appear similar to the real masks, with cotton batting on one side and a plastic barrier on the other. I then followed Linn's suggestion for using a stapler and added an elastic band to each end. My handiwork is not very pretty though and so it's probably best to carefully stitch the bands on.
    Mask_IG.jpg

5. Linn

What a great idea! I have some left-over Depends and some liners similar to the wee wee pads.

I'm going to try making the mask in the video - seems pretty easy.

6. Linn

The Mayor requested at a news conference held today that everyone on Oahu wear cloth masks in public So, I made one from one of the hats. I used hair bands. I had to use safety pins to keep them on. I don't think it's good enough for grocery shopping but it should work for a walk around my neighborhood. I try to leave my house around 6:30 and i stay 6' away from others . I washed a black bandanna and will make a mask from it. Apparently you are supposed to wash or sterilize your mask every time you wear it - and wash your hands before and after you take it off..... I think I can dunk it in hot water in the sink, wash it in dishwashing liquid and dry it outside in the sun. And, make fewer trips to the store.

upload_2020-4-2_16-4-39.png

7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I've made about 15 and have requests for 15 more!

sewingmachinegirl and MagsRags like this.
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yep, there was a whole tutorial in my newspaper the other day how to wear your mask correctly and where to hold it/touch it and where not. And yes, wash your hand right before and after putting it on/taking it off. Don't play around with it. I see a lot of people here walking around with the mask pushed down over their chin for whatever reason (some do it so they can smoke) - that's a no-go in any case.

9. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I've finished about 30 and have another 10 in process. This will take care of family and a few friends.

Some have elastic; some ties--twill tape. The ties are more comfortable according to my DH, but he is used to ties. Elastic is easier to put on and take off.

Mine are straight with pleats at the ends. I made only two, not the suggested three.

One of the recommended "fabrics" is tea towels. I reviewed mine and found twill weaves on the older ones. What are your observations?

The fabric needs to be dense, but you still have to breathe.

10. Linn

I wore my hat mask (above) this morning when I went for a walk. It is not wide enough; constantly slipped and my sunglasses fogged. I am not too happy with it. I may try to modify it by pinning ribbons to the safety pins!

I have identified several scarves that are the right size and should be heavy enough. I am a pack rat so they are mostly all vintage. They are airing outside in the sun now. I washed the hat when I got home - it's airing out too. There's a saying here - "Lucky You Live Hawaii "and in this case I am!

My State Senator sent a video this morning in an email of a very, very simple method of making no sew masks. All you need is a scarf and hair bands or elastic bands. I have lots of hair bands since I wear my hair back. It's similar the other video but much shorter.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Linn, if you can add some kind of metal at the top to hug the bridge of your nose, it will help a lot with that. Some folks are using pipe cleaners, or the metal prong fasteners that are used to hold office files together. I had a box full of 12" landscape ties in my garden supplies - they are like twist ties, but plastic coated instead of paper, so will survive washing. I sewed a channel at the top that I could insert a folded-in-half one into.
    facemasks how-to 2.JPG

12. Linn

Thanks, Maggie -

I read in this morning's Honolulu paper that the Hawaii State Director of Health does not think wearing a mask when you go for a walk is necessary (here) so I didn't. I enjoyed it a lot more than yesterday when I was messing with it. I did redo how the "hat mask" hair bands attach so I think if I wear that one again, it will be wide enough and stay on.

13. claireshaeffer

Boning or stays could also be used at the top of the mask.

I've now finished 22 masks. I have at least a doz more in process. It's been years since I did production sewing so I am very out of practice. When DH was in the Navy, I made baby layettes for Navy Relief--enough to earn my 10,000 hour pin.

The fabric I selected for the masks was a good choice for filtering but thicker than a plain weave cotton. This made the pleats on the ends more difficult to fold and stitch. The masks are very functional and can be used up or down as well as no right side. I think they should be washed after each wearing but my family is resisting that idea.

Off to finish some more. I know it's Sunday and you're not supposed to sew on Sunday according to my mother.

14. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I just finished 50th mask. A Facebook group on our island started by a doctor is getting donated fabrics and we can pick them up and then return the finished masks for distribution where needed, ( the elderly, nursing homes, retail workers in gas stations, etc. ) The small local hospital has just said they will take home made cotton masks, so I an gearing up on their preferred style today. I am out of elastic, so I am doing fabric ties, which it turns out many of the nurses prefer. They hold up in the wash better than elastic. Now to find some wire locally that will as well!

15. claireshaeffer

Hollis, pipe cleaners and those plastic ties have been suggested. Fortunately my group doesn't want wire.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  16. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Now here's one even I could do - using a t-shirt sleeve.

Metro Retro Vintage and MagsRags like this.
  17. Linn

That looks pretty easy! Probably a good idea to add a filter - a two ply paper towel would work.

18. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

19. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

The dog wanting to play with the ball in that video, was too cute!

20. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President