1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mardi Gras dress suit

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

A few of questions on this dress suit:

1. Is anyone familiar with the Mardi Gras label? It's pretty hard to find anything with a name like this. I saw the little blip in the label resource but wondering if anyone has more info.
    2. Would you call this fabric sharkskin, raw silk, and/or something else?
    3. I am pretty sure it's 60s but looking for a confirmation.

Thanks
    Victoria
    IMG_3576.JPG IMG_3576a.jpg IMG_3577.JPG IMG_3579.JPG IMG_3582.JPG IMG_3584.JPG IMG_3585.JPG IMG_3586.JPG IMG_3588.JPG IMG_3592.JPG

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

What a pretty set--love the color and bow detail!

Mardi Gras specialized in after five and special occasion dresses. The fabric on your set looks like shantung, or maybe Alaskine (a blend of silk and wool that was very popular in 60s dress suits like this!).

Vintagiality likes this.
  3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Thank you, Carrie. I love the set. It's a pretty heavy fabric and has some crispness. I think I'll go with shantung.

Victoria

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Very nice outfit...so elegant 60s. I can picture Audrey Hepburn wearing something like this.

5. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

So pretty. Shantung has always been one of my favorite fabrics.

6. I have had the Mardi Gras brand before. I always described fabric like this as Sharkskin :) not the materials but the appearance. It is often wool but the appearance is so slick and almost two toned it gets missed for wool :)