1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marilyn Monroe Cloche Hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Marilynfan, Jul 1, 2008.

1. joules

joules VFG Member

Keep up the updates. Love it!

There was an I. Magnin store located on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles proper, in addition to Beverly Hills. I know because I once lived right around the corner, and it was very close to Bullock's Wilshire as well. I wonder if she patronized that store location too? It was very grand, and close to The Ambassador Hotel.

2. Marilynfan

Marilynfan RegisteredGuest

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO! The hat came today! It is the same hat in both photos!!! Phew! I was worried. It definitely has a turban look to it. It took me about an hour to get it looking like the Christies pic. It even has the Christies tag from the Marilyn sale attached !!!! I'm waiting for my batteries to charge for my camera before I can take a pic. It is going to be hard to photograph as the black just blends together but I'll see what I can do. She had a tiny head - doesn't fit me. But I did sit it on my head for a few minutes anyway :)

My next decision is how to display this beauty. The crappy styrofoam wig head I have right now does not do it justice. I came across this lady on Ebay who paints mannequin heads in a flapper style. They are really cute.

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That's great news about the tag. And it is late50s/early 60s hat. Definitely not 1920s.

Have you looked at this site?

http://decoeyes.com/

The Ellie3 is pretty cool.

Hollis

4. Marilynfan

WOW! Those are great. I love Jean Harlow! Thanks for sending me the link. I would love a custom Marilyn one. If anyone knows of any other links similar to this please let me know.

5. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm so glad your hat has arrived! A new mannequin head would be just the thing.

Hollis, thank you for the decoeyes link. What phenomenal artistry there is in their work!

6. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

Great pic of you in front of MM's apartment but check your date unless you have a time machine:hysterical:

"Los Angeles, California August 4, 2008"

7. Marilynfan

Duh! Thanks for the catch.

BTW, I figured out a way to get a semi-decent photo of me in the hat. I turned it so the bow is to the side instead of the front like the previous pics. Do I look happy or what :)

[​IMG]

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think several people around here have purchased from deco eyes and were very happy with the work.

Hollis

9. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

I'm glad you figured out a way to wear the hat. You do look happy!

10. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

This gal also does a fine job of vintage reproduction display heads --

http://www.crunkleton.com/mannequin_heads.htm

Plus, you can have any one of them with any color hair/eyes.

Prices range from $100 to $150, with most of them quoted around $135.

:)

11. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

12. Ugh. Looks like a MM impersonator - lacks all of her charm and what's with the pose?

13. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

I have a Crunkleton and was happy with price, shipping and the manni.....

Ang

14. Marilynfan

Yeah, the full size manni is....uh...not very nice looking. The pose in particular is strange.

Can I assume now that I have posted photos on how it is supposed to fit that the proper term for the hat is definitely NOT cloche?

Thanks again everyone. I will be using all of the great information you guys have provided in my write-up for my website.

15. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

The hat is not a cloche hat. Basically, cloche hats had a basic bell contour with bulbous crowns. However, the the cloche shape which epitomised the 20's did change.
    This reference should help;

http://tinyurl.com/55nxlc

16. Marilynfan

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to end off this thread with a photo of how I ended up displaying my Marilyn hat. The custom head arrived today. I just love her :)

[​IMG]

17. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Melinda, I'm sending the link to your site to my
    daughter, she is a HUGE Marilyn fan. She will love it.

Oh....the hat looks great on the custom head!! Perfect
    display.

Sue

18. Marilynfan