Mary Poppins Walt Disney Blazer

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by VintageFlossy, May 23, 2024.

1. VintageFlossy

VintageFlossy Registered Guest

Hello vintage friends,

I have a blazer and I can’t find anything out about it! Just wondering if anyone is familiar! It’s a beautiful well made blazer by TREVIRA with a beautiful inside label that reads WALT DISNEY PROD. and Walt Disney’s Mary Poppins. Any info greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I ran across a reference yesterday to a Winnipeg company that got the Disney license to print Disney characters onto children's clothes in the early 1960s - so the only thing I can suggest is that Disney was open to other companies buying the license for the rights to produce clothing with Disney association. I imagine they control all the official merchandise now, but then not as much.

3. From what I understand, Trevira is not the maker of the garment but rather the fabric. It was/is a flame retardant fabric. Underneath "Trevira" is "with 30% other chemical fibers" written in German so presumably the jacket was made for the German market. I think it likely once had a matching skirt. What size is it?
    What a great piece of history, I love WD's Mary Poppins!

Here are 1966 Berlin shop windows featuring Mary Poppins movie-related scenes:
    https://d23.com/mapo-mary-poppins-window-display-disney/

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  4. VintageFlossy

Thank-you so much Jonathan.

5. VintageFlossy

Thank-you so much for your reply Donna. I appreciate the additional links to the photographs. Enjoyed looking through those. No size listed but measures 17 inches pit to pit. I agree that it had a skirt also. Thanks again.

6. I wondered if it was actually a girl's garment, rather than an adult one and, with that measurement, it likely was for a girl. :)