1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meet the new girls!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Circa Vintage Clothing, Apr 14, 2011.

1. I just picked up some new mannequins, they're Gossard lingerie models from about 1940.

The poor loves have been stored in a shed for some time so I've taken them straight to the restorer, who will strip them back, reproduce the "Gossard" decal on their chests and repaint them.

Hope you like them! The logo is different to the ones in the label resource, so I thought I might submit it to the LR.

Nicole

2. This lovely pair is similar to my Lola, who is a Berlei model from the early '40s (and is fully restored).

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The new girls are lovely and will be even more so when they are restored. Lola is sensational! Thanks for showing your "girls" !!!!

4. Thanks Linn! They're pretty special - I almost cried when I saw the new models, they're so beautiful. Thankfully now they can be restored and put back on display - do you like the little deco plinths they're standing on?

Nicole

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Those are fabulous, Nicole! :adore:

Thanks for giving us a peek, and please post "after" pics so we can see their transformation into stunners like Lola!

6. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

Lucky duck!!!!!!!l

7. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

:wow22: I would love to see the "after" pictures, too! :singing:

Gail

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

9. Wow...what a fabulous find. Can't wait to see them after their touching up!

10. joules

joules VFG Member

Thay are really beautiful, Nicole. It's wonderful to know that they will soon be restored, and I can't wait to see them afterwards.
    Even Lola may be jealous.

11. :drooling22::drooling22:

I have this fetish for vintage pre 50s manikins!!
    I have a corset form from the early 1900s.

I would give my right arm for one of those. Restored or otherwise.

I always admired Lola.

12. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

They are beautiful. So happy that you rescued them and will be restoring them to their former beauty. Can't wait to see them all gussied up!

13. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

they're amazing, Nicole! love them!! anxious to see their "after" looks, too!

i "liked" them on FB, too. :)

14. Thanks everyone! I got them from a lady who found them in her grandfather's shed - so we don't have any more history than that but she was pretty surprised to find them. They were in a box, quite small and light (about half the size of Lola) and quite damp so the first thing that will happen is that they will be left for a few weeks in a dry room to dry them out. Despite this, they're in very solid condition though.

Lola will be making a cameo in a local ABC TV series called The Slap. She ornaments a dressmaker's studio - can't wait to see her make her small screen debut!

Oh, and I just realised a nice bonus: the new ladies are so small they might fit some of the really small dresses I have! Gowns with 20-22" waists.

Nicole

15. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

:drooling22::drooling22:

I....am...speechless....LOLA is astounding!

The new ladies are wonderful...what a find! You are so lucky.

Can't wait to see them all gussied up!

Congrats.

Barbara

16. Thanks Barbara, I just love vintage mannequins - modern reproductions just don't have the same feel, even when they're straight copies, maybe it's the colours but they just don't have that magic.

I'm fortunate that we have a good skilled restorer nearby - Lola is exceptional, it's true. I had to come and pick her up as soon as she was finished because everyone who came into his workshop wanted to buy her! I'm very protective of her, because she's fragile so she sits on top of an art deco china cabinet and looks down on us all!

Nicole

17. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

They are gorgeous :clapping: - can't wait to see them in restored condition. I admit I didn't know that Gossard has already existed for so long :bouncy:.

Karin

18. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

Nicole, thank you for posting your ladies. They are way cool!!! I love them. True works of art even as is!
    What a great coffee table book a study of vintage mannequins would make. Maybe one is already out there. Time for more research!
    Alice

19. Very beautiful. :wub: