1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's Jacket label confusion

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Susie petals, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Susie petals

Susie petals Registered Guest

I found a Mens jacket at a jumble sale with two labels inside the jacket with John Brockenhurst and a label saying John G Hardy. I'm confused as to which brand it is. The jacket is immaculate, tweed and lined a mustard satin . Could anyone help me identify the jacket please?

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

First, here is a bit of information about the John G. Hardy label, from a 1952 newspaper blurb: "John G. Hardy Limited, the London woollen merchants, are helping the tailor serve the public. Once the private customer has made his choice from the 'bunches' of Hardy Suitings at his tailor's, or at Hardy's own showroom (where upwards of 1600 cloths are displayed and stocked), the transaction is made at wholesale level."

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...and (so far) a tiny bit about Brocklehurst, from a 1986 London newspaper ad: "Some Stores Where the Well-Heeled Will Discover Grenson 'S' Series: (In) Bakewell -- John Brocklehurst" So John Bocklehurst was a store in Bakewell...wherever that is.

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is a history of John Brocklehurst's business...

...and here is a history of John G. Hardy.

Susie petals and Rue_de_la_Paix like this.
  5. Susie petals

So the jacket is indeed a John G Hardy brand item, sold in a John Brockenhurst shop? Is that correct? Do you think I should advertise as both or just John G Hardy? Sorry for my ramblings ...

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It looks to me as if John G. Hardy made the fabric from which the garments were tailored and the customer could have their own tailor make the clothing from the Hardy textiles or John Brocklehurst's tailors (not Brockenhurst) would make clothing from the textiles. Did Hardy also make clothing from his textiles? I have no idea, but in your case you have the Brocklehurst label, too, so I assume Brocklehurst's tailors made the garment.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. Susie petals

OK, thank you very much for your help