1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mink shawl and stole?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by LadyBug, Sep 18, 2019.

1. LadyBug

LadyBug Registered Guest

I'm not certain what the proper names for these two pieces are, so I just grabbed a couple!
    I've designated the shawl as the larger and the stole as the animal. I stated mink because that is what my friend who owned them called them. Also, they look like mink from all of your other pictures.

I was gifted with these two pieces after my friend's passing. Since we live in the desert, I doubt our climate would be good for them, so I plan to sell them once I have confirmed what they are and determined an estimated value.

Since my friend was around my age, I'm guessing these are from the 60s or even 70s, and possibly 50s. I know they were popular when I was younger. However, she may have inherited them from an older relative.

The little animal looking thing is in very good shape. No damage; everything is there.
    The shawl has wear. It would need repair before anyone wore it. The lining is frayed some at the edges and it has pulled apart in a few places. I assume that is the initials on the inside. I included that shot in case the lining tells anyone anything. There were other pieces that another friend received. Those carried NYC designer labels.

I appreciate thoughts from anyone. Also, if I were to keep them, how would I store them given I live in the desert?

Thanks to all!
    stole 1.jpg stole 1.jpg stole 4.jpg animal 1.jpg animal 2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. LadyBug

LadyBug Registered Guest

(Sorry for the mess. I deleted my message when I put the photos in. Here are my questions.)

I'm not certain what the proper names for these two pieces are, so I just grabbed a couple!
    I've designated the shawl as the larger and the stole as the animal. I stated mink because that is what my friend who owned them called them. Also, they look like mink from all of your other pictures.
    I was gifted with these two pieces after my friend's passing. Since we live in the desert, I doubt our climate would be good for them, so I plan to sell them once I have confirmed what they are and determined an estimated value.

Since my friend was around my age, I'm guessing these are from the 60s or even 70s, and possibly 50s. I know they were popular when I was younger. However, she may have inherited them from an older relative.

The little animal looking thing is in very good shape. No damage; everything is there.
    The shawl has wear. It would need repair before anyone wore it. The lining is frayed some at the edges and it has pulled apart in a few places. I assume that is the initials on the inside. I included that shot in case the lining tells anyone anything. There were other pieces that another friend received. Those carried NYC designer labels.

I appreciate thoughts from anyone. Also, if I were to keep them, how would I store them given I live in the desert?

Thanks to all!

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

The first is a mink stole and it dates to the 50s. The initials inside are a monogram. The second is pine marten and it would clip to one side of a suit jacket and hang like a scarf. That would most and it probably dates somewhere within the same period of time.

We aren't able to assess value here but should you decide to sell you might search online venues to see what similar ones in similar condition are selling for. You really can't tell what the real selling prices are unless you see ones that have sold however you can get an average of what they are being offered for.

If you decide to keep them keep them in air conditioning away from light and in a spacious area.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  4. LadyBug

LadyBug Registered Guest

Thank you for your help, Caryn! Yes. Now that I know what they are actually called, I can compare them to various selling sites and see what has sold. Thank you for a great site. I read various posts for over an hour before I posted mine. :)