1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mona Lisa Smiles movie

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by ellenm, Sep 19, 2004.

1. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

The Starz premium channel is offering free access this weekend (at least to Directtv subscribers). I watched this movie last night and really enjoyed seeing the 50s outfits the characters wore. The movie itself was schmaltzy and a real ripoff of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie without the intelligence and wit. But I recommend it for the clothes. See if you can get the channel free tonight; the movie is on again.

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

cool...free Starz! that's disappointing about the movie. is it the script entirely or the performances? i haven't seen it...but i heard the clothing is for the most part fairly accurate...vs period movies where a lot of "liberties" were taken..

3. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

The performances were good, I thought. The script was lousy, the plot was entirely predictable, especially if you've seen or read The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. The scenes were all very short. The movie seemed as though it had been edited drastically and major parts of the story were left on the cutting room floor. Nevertheless, I enjoyed looking at the clothes. There were so many female characters that there was a lot to look at.

4. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

We watched it last night on Starz and I was really impressed by the accuracy of the clothing, hair and make up. Although I thought it was a rip off of "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", as well, I did find the depiction of womens' roles, at that time moving. I guess, because I'm in my 50s, I can still remember the tail end of that era. "Get married to a man with money" was the mantra..
    joey